Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Quail

Quails not laying eggs??

(41 posts)

1. Joe

Hello I am new to the forum. I have two female quails (6wks old) that I got a week ago they are in a large toblerone shaped run with a male rabbit and a male guinea pig - during the day I let them all out on the grass for a while. For the first three days I got an egg a day but for the last four days I've had nothing and can't understand why not. They look happy enough and have plenty of food and water, space to run around etc, they are chirping a lot which is hopefully happy sign! Has anyone any suggestions to help the egg production along??

kind regards
    Posted 7 years ago #
  2. Hi Joe,
    Welcome to the farmingfriends forum. I see from your profile that you are in Ireland. The quail will go off lay in Autumn unless they are kept in a hut with artificial lighting. I have 8 female quail with 5 male quail in an aviary and they have just gone off lay. The last few days I have had an odd egg but not the 8 I have been getting daily through the Spring and Summer.
    Generally the won't lay now until the Spring when there is more daylight hours and warmer weather. If you do want them to lay through the Autumn and winter then you could move the hut into a barn or building and give them extra light.
    Glad that your quail seem happy.
    When they are out on the grass just watch that they don't get mud or droppings attached to their feet called toeballing as this is hard to get off. You can get it off but the mud hardens fast and then you have to carefully soak it and pick it off without pulling the claw off as well. Just thought I would mention this as I have had this happen to my quail when they went on the grass. Short periods of time on the grass shouldn't cause this to happen too much but it's good to know so you can watch out for it!
    Do you have names for your quail, rabbit and guinea pig. I have a guinea pig called Guiness!
    Kind regards
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 7 years ago #
  3. Joe

Hi Sarah, yes we have been living in Southern Ireland for three years, its very beautiful, but very rainy and a very expensive place to live! What is really lovely though is that we can walk to Greystones beach in the evenings where we love to see seals and sometimes dolphins too -thats really amazing! Previously we lived in France for three years (My husband is french)I am from Sussex, originally from Eastbourne where all my family still live.
    Ah Guiness - very popular here as you can imagine! MY Children (Charlotte8 and Henry3) have name the quails JackSparrow (H is crazy about pirates) and Chocolate (for the dark brown one)
    I will keep an eye on their feet - thanks for this info.
    I love keeping animals as a child we had tons of different things. I would love to have more animals inthe garden - but don't know what I will get next - also we are only renting our house so need to ensure that the garden dosen't get too messy as one day we might have to give it back! We live on a small estate with about 30 houses, there are lots of children here who don't have any pets and they love to come round and say hello to ours I think its so good for them.
    Have a good weekend - I'm off to make pizzas!

kind regards
    Posted 7 years ago #
  4. Hi Joe,
    Sounds a lovely place to live. I love the name Chocolate for your quail. I assume this is a Japanese quail.
    I agree children love to see animals. We often get children from the village come to the farm to look at the animals and friends and family with children love to visit and collect eggs, see the piglets when we had them and look at the cows and calves.
    Enjoy your pizza making!
    Kind regards
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 7 years ago #
  5. sallie

Hi Joe, My quail are just going off lay. Down to 5 eggs a day from 12 so we will have to wait until Spring for an egg boom!!!

I hail from 20 miles north of Eastbourne so fairly local to your origins. The toe balling is a real pain, mine got it when very small under a heat lamp in the lounge and it is a tricky to get the stuff off without removing nails. I held mine under a warm tap until it softened but have 2 with missing nails. Not that they seem to mind!

Hope your girls start laying again in the Spring.

Best wishes

Sallie.

Posted 7 years ago #
  6. Joe

Hi Guys blimey these quails are a bit messy aren't they!! poor rabbit and guinea pig have got poo all over their run now and I'm not sure they appreciate it I ight have to seperate them after all. Also the quail poo on their own feet all the time don't they - keep washing it off - which is fine with two but much be a real pain if you've got lots of them!
    Pizza were great especially with three bottles of cava! Going to a cafe for breakfast with kids now, joe

kind regards
    Posted 7 years ago #
  7. sallie

Hi Joe, Hope Breakfast was good!

I have 17 quail in a 12 x 6 ft run, they also have an inside area attached to the run that is 6 x 4 ft. Don't seem to have a problem with feet at the moment. How big is your run? Are their poos runny or firm? I feed my on Marriages Mini Quail pellets when they are laying and foreign finch food when off lay. Remember to supply grit if they are on seed. It may be that the run is a bit small for the quail and the guinea pig and rabbit and you may need to extend it a bit or give the quail their own run. They don't need an inside area as they are happy to live outside all the time, mine don't use the inside bit unless they are laying. They will live out in all weather!

Off to do horses now before it gets dark, I hate these gloomy days and early evening.

Best wishes

Sallie.

Posted 7 years ago #
  8. Joe

Hi Sallie oh lucky you having horses - love riding but it is SO expensive here that it is a rare treat for my daughter and I. So I guess my run is about 8ft by 3ft however during the day I let the rabbit and guinea pig run freely in the garden as it is walled and seems safe enough (they'e survived three years!) the quails I put under a cage on the grass so that they get a bit of a change of scene too!! The quails are eating chicken food - not sure exactly what it is it was supplied by the guy we bought it off but it is cream and gritty looking??!! Regards!

kind regards
    Posted 7 years ago #
  9. sallie

Hi Joe, Probably layers mash by the sound of it. Quail need very high protein so you may find it is not high enough. My pellets are about 23% protein. Check what the mash is, that may be why they are not laying. May be worth going on Marriage's web site and seeing if there is a supplier near you for the quail pellets.

I am lucky that I keep horse with a friend who doesn't charge me so that keeps the cost down. She is turned out 24 hours a day and has her shoes off in the winter, again cheaper! Wouldn't be able to afford it if I had to pay the livery prices down here as they average about £30 week on DIY. Luckily my friend has 130 acres and we get hay free as well from the farmer who keeps sheep on some of it in return for sheep keep and the extra hay we don't need when he makes it.

Hope its not too wet out in Ireland at the moment. Pretty soggy day here despite the forecast saying it would be nice, can't trust those weather people!

Best wishes

Sallie.

Posted 7 years ago #
  10. Joe

Hi Sallie thanks for this info about the food I will look into it! Bright sunshine here today, really gorgeous and I'm off to walk on the beach whilst the suns out!
    Hope one day we will be able to keep horses like you do it sounds great
    Kind regards, joe

kind regards
    Posted 7 years ago #
  11. Hi Joe,
    My quail seem to like dandelion leaves and lettuce as well as brassicas. They seem to prefer greens as opposed to carrots which Guiness the guinea pig loves.
    Sounds like it was a lovely day with you today. Hope you enjoyed the walk on the beach. Sounds lovely.
    Imagine if you did have a horse maybe you could ride the horse on the beach - is it ok to do that? Do horse like it I wonder? It always looks lovely when you see horses galloping across the sand and through the shallow water on the tv and the idea sounds sort of romantic.
    Kind regards
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 7 years ago #
  12. sallie

Hi Sara & Joe,
    My quail love lettuce and grass and occasionally cut up apple. They love the old runner bean plants too.

Some authorities forbid horses on the beach in the summer so you can only ride in winter which isn't so wonderful!! You have to time it to the tides as you need to ride on the just exposed sand as the tide goes out or you run the risk of hitting soft sand and damaging tendons. Our nearest beach is Camber Sands which is about 1.5 hours away and quite honestly I can't be bothered. I am lucky to be within 1 mile of Ashdown Forest which is 6,400 acres of heathland and for which I have a permit. Best time to go is about 5.30am when no-one else is about and you have the place to yourself. I pop Willow in the trailer and drive up as there is no off road way of reaching it and I am not riding up the A26 as it is a death trap! plus 5 dogs running around the road might be a bit tricky!!

Hope everyone is well.

Best wishes

Sallie.

Posted 7 years ago #
  13. Hi Sallie,

It's very interesting to hear about where you go riding and the rules about riding on beaches and how it can affect the horse. Lots to think about.

The quail in the aviary hadn't stopped laying, I just hadn't seen the eggs! Getting about 4-6 a day in the aviary instead of 8.

All well here.
    Best Wishes
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 7 years ago #
  14. sallie

Hi Sara,

Still on 4 to 5 eggs daily down from 12 so half of the girls are on strike. Will look forward to next spring.

Glad yours are still active.

Best wishes

sallie.

Posted 7 years ago #
  15. Hi Sallie,
    Still a few eggs from the girls. The quail hens feathers are really growing back and I love to see the nice clean coloured feathers.
    Best Wishes
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 7 years ago #
  16. Joe

Not fair! Absolutely no bloody eggs here!! Quails are not interested in eating anything apart from their dried food (how boring) - which is actually chick crumb feed (20% protein) -it says its suitable for game - looking for quail pellets but no luck so far, they are shedding their feathers like mad but seem happy enough!!

Sallie, I used to love going to Camber Sands when I lived in Sussex it was a gorgeous place to be. I went to Sussex University and lived in Falmer village for years, I used to ride out the race horses there over the downs it was great! Nowadays I am older and not so brave - but still really enjoy the riding - just a little more cautiously!

Sara I looked up all your video clips about the farm - what a heavenly place you live in - I would really love to have some pigs!!
    Joe x

kind regards
    Posted 7 years ago #
  17. sallie

Hi Joe,

If the quail are moulting then they won't lay. Mine are not really moulting as yet which is why I have eggs but once it starts the eggs will stop. Don't panic they will lay next spring!

I supplement my lot with foreign finch seed which they love. Give it a try as you can buy a small bag first to see if they like it. Budgie food will do but they don't like sunflower seeds as they can't get into them. Trill or something similar.

Must admit I don't like Camber as a friends horse died there due to soft sand. Bit of a bad memory.

Agree with you, my thoroughbred days are over, don't bounce so well now. I used to work in point to point yard many years ago and loved the t.b.'s but will stick with my anglo european now. It helps that I bred her so she has grown up knowing how things are done. Still has a wicked sense of humour at 15 years old and can produce some wonderful fly bucks but they are never done with malice and she always warns me they are coming!!!

Take care Joe,

Best wishes

Sallie.

Posted 7 years ago #
  18. Joe

HI Sallie, just come back from my riding lesson (I just have one every two weeks) The trainer says I'm ready to learn to play polocross which is very popular here? Exciting but a bit nervous have you ever done anything like that??
    Very envious of you having your own horse!
    Joe

kind regards
    Posted 7 years ago #
  19. Hi Joe and Sallie,
    Thanks for the compliment about my farm. It is a lovely place to live. I loved keeping my pigs, Cagney and Lacy were lovely pigs, unfortunately I don't have them anymore. I hope to have some more pigs in a year or twos time.

I gave my quail trill and they really liked it. They come running when I have greens and they love mealworms.

You both sound like very accomplished riders.
    Best Wishes
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 7 years ago #
  20. sallie

Hi Joe, You do pick your subjects, played polocross out in New Zealand but friends horse broke its leg so bad vibes there!! Have a friend who plays fanatically, out as often as possible throwing that ball around. She loves it. Bit like arial polo!

Took my mare out as nanny to our new youngster today and she decided that flybuck was the ideal pace to use. the baby ignored her and I nearly fell off laughing as she is such a tart when she is behaving like that!!!

Much cheaper buying a 20kg sack of foreign finch food as it is about £12 and lasts for ages. Only suggest Trill as a trial to see if they like it. All my elderberries have gone so will have to start stripping the farm for more.

Best wishes

Sallie.

Posted 7 years ago #
  21. Hi Sallie,
    Thanks for the tip about the finch food.
    It's very interesting to hear about your horse riding experiences.
    Best Wishes
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 7 years ago #
  22. sallie

Hi Sara,

Corn on the cob is completely gone, they loved it. Will probably buy them some more. They also loved the sunflower heads I put in with them. Managed to eat all the seeds, probably because they were not ripe and hard shelled.

We took the youngster out with Pedlar yesterday, Ped is much more sensible as a nanny, and Tommy behaved beautifully, Alice cantered him 4 or 5 times and, apart from one tiny hop, she managed him really well.

Best wishes

Sallie.

Posted 7 years ago #
  23. Joe

Hi Sara and Sallie how are you both??
    So funny on our little estate at the moment - my neighbour who thought she had two sister bunnies got up this morning to see TONS of baby bunnies running all over everybodies garden!! Turns out the rabbits must have been brother and sister - they had the babies hidden under the shed and no one had seen them there! Anyway its provided huge entertainment for all the kids (Think I might have to take one of the babies they are SO sweet!!)
    Sallie you sound like a brilliant rider how great for you to be able to do that with your kids! Thats funny that you have done polocross too!

I will give the quails some corn on the cob I have tried will bird seed - as there was no trill in the shop but they don't seem that interested (perhaps they just have very small appetites!)

We are having a lovely weekend with lots of celebrating here as my bother and his wife are staying form Oxford and she is pregnant for the first time with TWINS! We are so happy for them as they are nearly 40 and have been trying for years!
    Joe xx

kind regards
    Posted 7 years ago #
  24. Joe

By the way are you two on facebook?? I am under Joanna Pizzey (maiden name)

kind regards
    Posted 7 years ago #
  25. Hi Sallie and Joe,
    What a busy weekend I've had with a charity ball, taking neice/nephew out shopping and for lunch for a 7th birthday treat! and then christening today! Phew tired just typing about it! I know that my hens like corn on the cob. Will try the quail with it and let you know what they think.
    It must be nice to go out riding, great way to see the countryside and get out in the fresh air.
    How lovely Joe that suddenly lots of baby bunnies popped up! I had two rabbits when I was growing up called Blackberry and Brighteyes. Fond memories.
    Great news about your brother and wife, wow Twins, so exciting for them.
    Have just found you on facebook so have sent a friend request!
    Best Wishes
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 7 years ago #
  26. sallie

Hi Sara and Joe,

Busy weekends all round it seems. Quail now all clean again, found rat poo in the run so have rebaited all my bait stations, am going to borrow a friends air rifle and try and pop a few off when they are on the bird feeders after dark. Impressed myself today by installing a new sensor light as the old one had broken. Works fine surprise surprise!!!

My male Lakeland terrier is off to the vets tomorrow for the snip as he is a right male terrier! He will not be impressed.

Amazing that the bunnies kept the babies a secret, what a time of year to produce babies, shows how the climate is changing. We have bulbs coming up all over the place. Weird.

Best Wishes

Sallie.

Posted 7 years ago #
  27. Hi Sallie,
    What a pain finding rat poo in the run.
    Hope your Lakeland terrier is ok!
    It's very mild at the moment isn't it. No bulbs popping up yet here!
    Kind regards
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 7 years ago #
  28. sallie

Hi Sara,

Saw two rats last night on the bird feeders, have got a friend sorting out an air rifle for me so will pop them off when I get it. Bait stations full charged. I hate rats!!!

Bulbs up 5 inches here, mind you we are further south than you. The week is supposed to be lovely. More mowing of lawns I fear.

Best wishes.

Sallie.

Posted 7 years ago #
  29. Hi Sallie,
    It's not nice seeing rats! We get them here on the farm hence why we have cats which now seem to be my pets. The cats don't really seem to like the rats!
    We seem to have more rats since we flooded the other year.

Been a lovely sunny day here today.

Best Wishes
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 7 years ago #
  30. sallie

Hi Sara,

Lost 2 quail to ? rat ? stoat last night. Not a happy bunny. Heard them going ballistic at about 3.30am. Let dogs out but too late I am afraid. Have filled in all the rat runs so I can see where they are coming from but think they live next door so don't know how successful I will be at eradicating them. I had this problem last year at this time which is why I put the quail in the horse trailer for the winter.

Not a good day.

Best wishes

Sallie.

Posted 7 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.