Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Incubating and Hatching Eggs

Chicken eggs dead?

(30 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by MMA193
  • Latest reply from campbell ridge

1. MMA193

I had 2 chicken eggs in my incubator. I put them in March 3 and March 4th. It is now March 25 and none of them hatched. I decided to crack the one from March 3rd open so I can see what was going on inside. I cracked the egg open and there was egg white fluid (if that's what you call it) and i thought it was dead. When I got the egg shell off completely, it moved and open and closed its mouth continuously for about 5 seconds with no peeps or chirps produced. It had feathers on it and did have toes a beak and everything. This took place towards the end of the day, so it had been a total of 22 days. I'm not sure if it would've hatched or not? Did I do wrong by cracking the egg open? Would it have hatched 2-3 days later? What exactly happened?

Posted 5 years ago #
  2. how sad, asuming all your settings are right I see no reason why it wouldnt have hatched in the next few days, 21 days is the average but dont think its an exact science, I do hope the second egg is left alone to hatch on its own now and its a shame it will be on its own

some information here for you
    http://www.shilala.com/incubating.html

mo x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  3. campbell ridge
    Administrator

I think your setting must be wrong too. please check them and dont give up just yet, just in case you can save some. if you didnt set it off correctly, then that would have delayed incubation but of course if it has been wrong all along it might be too late to save them. http://farmingfriends.com/forums/topic.php?id=1443#post-11558

Sarah L
    Posted 5 years ago #
  4. Katydid

Even under chickens they can hatch over 3 days. Last year one of my Brahmas had her first chick hatch on Friday and the last hatched on Sunday. So I would hang on for another couple of days. If you listen carefully you may be able to hear the chick inside.
    Hope it goes well, but as Mo says it's a shame it will be on it's own.
    KT

No holidays, too many birds.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  5. MMA193

Thank you all very much for your help, the other egg is hatching and is taking very long to hatch. How long exactly is the hatching process? I checked mine 7:30 in the morning and it was just a tiny hole, now it is 5:00 in the afternoon and its double the size which is very small. It is the size an eraser on the back of a #2 pencil. Does it usually take this long?

Posted 5 years ago #
  6. Jz_8889

Hello, i hatch quail chicks in my incubator and i like to leave them for up to 4 days after they are supposed to hatch just incase and this has saved some of my chicks :-) also does the incubator automaticly turn the eggs?

Julia x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  7. yes it can take along time for them to hatch and you can help them in various ways but given the time difference between you posting and most of us here in the UK seeing it, im guessing the chick is out now and hope all is well
    you have a lot of work ahead raising it so any problems please ask there are members who can help you

mo x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  8. MMA193

Thank you so Much Julia and no I do not have an automatic egg turner. I turn them myself 2-5 times a day. And yes Mo, it has hatched. It is very healthy and is currently in my brooder. I actually have ordered 100+ quail eggs because I absolutely love quail and have a pen and everything. I am just waiting from my shipment to arrive. I can't wait! And Thank you all for your help! And I do have another question about quail but I think I am going to have to make a new thread. Thanks everybody!

Posted 5 years ago #
  9. Dee

I have 6 Khaki campbell eggs that my Muscovy is laying on. 1 hatched on day 27 and the others have done nothing but look like they could explode any day. How long should I wait before assuming the others died or didn't form? This is day 29.

Posted 5 years ago #
  10. Katydid

Is she still sitting on them Dee? They can take anything up to 29, maybe 30 days. If she is still on them she may be able to hear something. My ducks chuck dead eggs out of the nest.
    KT

Posted 5 years ago #
  11. Dee

Yes she is. She stands up over them sometimes but has never left the nest.

Posted 5 years ago #
  12. sounds like mummy knows best and is doing a very good job Dee

mo x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  13. Dee

OK thank you so much for you help.

Posted 5 years ago #
  14. Katydid

If she's still on them then she thinks there is reason to stay, and as Mo says 'mummy knows best'. If she leaves them then open with care!!

Please let us know what happens.
    KT
    ps Muscovies are great mums.

Posted 5 years ago #
  15. campbell ridge
    Administrator

muscovies eggs do take longer to hatch than other ducks so perhaps she is doing what her body clock is telling her. In any case its a question of wait and see.

Sarah L
    Posted 5 years ago #
  16. hope there's more ducklings today Dee
    Sarah you misread its a muscovy sitting on khaki eggs x

mo x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  17. campbell ridge
    Administrator

No Mo I didn't misread it. I know she is sitting on khaki eggs but as the broody is a muscovy, she is diligently waiting until her "normal" 35 days is up. Even though they may not be viable. This was only my conclusion as to why she would still be sitting

Sarah L
    Posted 5 years ago #
  18. Mama

Hi Dee,Mama duck or hen and goose will sit forever and a day in my experience whether the eggs are viable or not .Poor girl will just stay there and if and when you think the time has really passed for the eggs take her off the nest and destroy it .Put her in the sin bin and cool her down .Hope it doesn't come to this and good luck .Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 5 years ago #
  19. Katydid

Where you been,Mama? Good to have you back.

Sorry to say, my experience is completely different. My ducks have left the nest once the viable eggs have hatched. They won't stay if they don't feel/hear a heartbeat in the remaining eggs. Even if they only have 1 duckling.

Hopefully Dee will let us know what happened.
    KT

Posted 5 years ago #
  20. Mama

Oops,Yes Katy I missed one had hatched already.Guilty of not reading all again .I was talking about a broody on a nest .Do hope others have hatched since but if not at least you have one duckling Dee.Mama.

Goose Girl
    Posted 5 years ago #
  21. Dee

Hi everyone. Nice reading all your ports. No other duckies hatched. Just 1, but mama is still laying on them. She has covered them with more straw but won't leave the nest. How much longer should I wait. They were due the 4th and its the 8th. Hope you all had a blessed Easter. Thank you all for your help.

Posted 5 years ago #
  22. Hi Dee will mum allow you to remove one of the eggs so you can check it, you could try candleing it or even just listen to see if you can hear chirping but I would probably just leave her to it for a while longer,
    how is she though with the duckling that hatched if she is still sitting is the little one been taken out to swim etc

mo x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  23. Dee

The little one is sitting on her back just behind her neck. It is so precious. And it is growing a lot. She is laying on her eggs and keeping the baby on her back. I don't know if she has taken it to the waterer yet or not. The little one is eating a lot.

Posted 5 years ago #
  24. Katydid

Good to hear that all is well with the little one, as long as it is feeding and drinking it should be fine. If you are able to get one of the eggs to check then I think it would be a good idea. You don't want mum sitting indefinately. I am surprised she hasn't left them to look after her baby.

Do keep us informed. All the best.
    KT

Posted 5 years ago #
  25. Dee

I got 3 of the eggs and candled them. They had liquid rolling around and were dark about 1/2 way up. Could not hear heartbeats in any of them so removed the remainding 3 and they were the same. Mama is doing great with the 1. I wish I could send you a picture. I am going to assume that they are all dead at this point.

Posted 5 years ago #
  26. Katydid

Sadly, yes they are. Just as well that you removed them before they exploded.
    This is a good site to use to see what to look for:
    http://www.metzerfarms.com/Candling.cfm
    Courtesy of Mo.

Shame she only has one, but I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
    KT

Posted 5 years ago #
  27. Dee

Thank all of you so much and I look forward to visiting with you again. I love this site.
    I wish I could send you a picture of Daffy. It is so cute. Not that you havent seen a million baby ducks before but this one is mind. LOL. Hope you all had a great Easter.

Posted 5 years ago #
  28. Mama

Sara admin can tell you how to share a pic and one baby is better than none is better than none .Welcome Daffy .Mama .

Goose Girl
    Posted 5 years ago #
  29. aww thats sad to hear Dee, where did you get the eggs from as one out of 6 isnt very good really, are they from your own ducks or did you buy them
    sure mum will be puzzled for a short while but then will enjoy bringing up Daffy
    and we all love duckling photos, as Mama says Sara has to send you a code via email as to how to load photos or you could email one to her to add here for you, or if you are on facebook you can find farming friends there to share a photo

mo x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  30. campbell ridge
    Administrator

Ah good, I am glad she has been released from her sit in! I was beginning to worry that the one duckling wasn't getting water along with his food. I expect she has even taking it swimming by now too.

Sarah L
    Posted 5 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.