Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Quail

Quail Breeding Help!

(7 posts)

1. MMA193

Hey forum. I have a question regarding my quail. I know that male Coturnix/Pharaoh quail have a bulbous gland on top of their vent (I'm pretty sure all poultry contain this) which secretes a white foam which aids in breeding. I tried to check my quail for this and the male did not have a bulbous gland and did not secrete any white foam. What does it mean, and why won't it produce this foam?

Posted 5 years ago #
  2. Hi MMA,
    How old is your male quail? From my experience japanese quail mature at about 6 to 8 weeks and then the white foam can be seen attached to their droppings in the pen/hut during the mating season, they don't secrete this foam in the Autumn/Winter.
    kind regards
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 5 years ago #
  3. MMA193

Hi Sara,
    My quail are ranging from 3-5 months old. It is spring/summer here in Georgia (U.S.). It is 70-80 degrees a day and I have natural light during the day, and a light bulb on during the whole night. And if there is a white coloring to the quail droppings, does that mean the quail are breeding? They have been put in a new cage i built for about 2 weeks now, and i have heard that it takes about 3 weeks for quail to get used to a new home before they get laying, so does that mean they'll start laying in a week?
    Thanks Sara.

Posted 5 years ago #
  4. Wolfyhybrid

Sounds like your quail simply need time to settle into their new cage. Your male is ready to breed the white foam on the droppings indecates that. Its the hens that take a little longer to settle in, depending on how much disruption they had when moved and how different the surroundings are that they have moved to. the Hen will only lay once she knows the area is safe which is a bit of a joke really as they very rarley sit in the eggs to hatch them. the males are not so fussy, however they will continue to produce the white foam in the mating season even if there are no females in the cage with them. My quail always start mating whenever i feed them. something you can try is to sprinkle some dried mealworm into the cage, the male will pick up the worm and cheap for the Hens to come and take it off him.
    Cheers, Rob

Posted 5 years ago #
  5. MMA193

Hello Rob,
    The only time I actually saw breeding was when I first bought a new male and put him in the cage with 3 other females, and that was the only time. It looks like I might have to try the mealworm trick I hope it works! I think I also might have to put a box in for the females to lay in right? I hope they start laying soon, I would love some more quail in my aviary! Thanks everybody!

Posted 5 years ago #
  6. Hi MAA,
    The male will start to do their trill call and stand up tall to attract the females. The white on the droppings is a foam abit like shaving foam attached to the dropping.
    I hope they settle soon and start breeding for you and producing the eggs. Once they are settled they should start to lay. They are quite shy birds do you have some sheltered corners I put branches in the corner and add foliage or staw to give them hiding places.
    kind regards
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 5 years ago #
  7. MMA193

Hello Sara,
    I do keep Straw in one of the corners and they have made little nests like holes in the straw. The males and the females sit in here. It will be a full 3 weeks in about 4 days that they will be in the pen they are in. Hopefully they will lay soon. Thank you so much for all your help everyone.
    ~MMA~

Posted 5 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.