Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Incubating and Hatching Eggs

Trying and failing to hatch some indian runners!!

(8 posts)

1. jacinda

Hi,

Last spring we got 3 indian runner ducklings- 2male, 1female, who are now all grown up and the female is laying plenty of eggs!
    The idea of hatching our own eggs was exciting and so I borrowed an incubator from a friend and got to work, following a lot of research! Anyway, so at about day 10 I candled my eggs and not a single one had started to develop. Thinking that perhaps all 14 could be infertile, I got rid of them and started again. This time I tried with six, however cracked some more before putting this six in to see if they were fertile- of which they were; they had the bullseye on the yolk. The six, at day 12 currently, have shown no signs of development at all but I am so reluctant to chuck them that I have left them (to see what you all say!) And I have started on another 10 today! Please help me, I cant believe that every single egg Ive tried has failed- I am monitoring the temperature and turning the eggs- the only thing I cant monitor is humidity however I have filled up the well with water, but I am pulling my hair out trying to work out where Im going wrong! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thankyou!

Posted 5 years ago #
  2. campbell ridge
    Administrator

I think perhaps they are not fertile. ALL yolks have a white dot on them and only when they are fertilised are they a fair bit larger dot.
    Have a look at incubation charts to be sure you have the right settings for turning the eggs and humidity. http://farmingfriends.com/humidity-levels-for-egg-incubation/

If and when you do manage to brood some ducklings, they will not be accepted into the group you already have until they are quite mature themselves.

Sarah L
    Posted 5 years ago #
  3. jacinda

Thats the thing, the dot is relatively large like in this picture http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_LFNgdD3Z4jk/TCoPeyOiVmI/AAAAAAAAB3I/2LdZXvHEuts/s1600/FertileEggPIx.jpg , which implies to me that they ARE fertile. The ducks mate enough to make me think that the eggs should be fertile as well. I dont know what else I can do, do others have as poor a success rate as me? Should I just keep trying?

Thanks!

Posted 5 years ago #
  4. Katydid

By day 10 there should be blood vessels right across the yolk, which should be visible with a strong torch, if they are fertile. Since this is their 1st year the first eggs may not take, I'm sure if you keep trying that you will have success.
    KT

No holidays, too many birds.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  5. here is a good link including photos showing the different stages of candling hope it helps you

http://www.metzerfarms.com/Candling.cfm

mo x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  6. jacinda

So, I think finally one of my duckling eggs has started to develop!! I think I can see the thinnest tiniest of veins when I candle it, (I started incubating them on Monday 2nd) however the rest dont look like theyre fertile. I guess its early on but do you think theres a chance one of my eggs is developing? Its just all the photos online are so clear I cant work out if people only upload good ones or if im just looking so hard that im imagining things... I want a hatch so badly!!

Posted 5 years ago #
  7. jacinda

Oh no, it couldnt be a blood ring forming could it? What is it that causes these to form? Would it be because of the egg or the incubator?

Posted 5 years ago #
  8. hello I think if you started them only on the 2nd its quite early to think nothing is happening yet, you say you looked on line im not sure if you looked at the link I shared with you 6 days ago but the photos on there are very good but as you will see there isnt alot to see yet, I would just leave them for longer then candle them again, here is the link again for you

http://www.metzerfarms.com/Candling.cfm

mo x
    Posted 5 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.