Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Ducks

so the day they are laid.....

(14 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by pastrychef
  • Latest reply from pastrychef

1. pastrychef

I just put a drake in with my khaki campbell girls...and well he is loving it. But ive never had to candle the eggs, iam not quite sure, well i know to look for a red spot and veining.... but my question is how soon can i see that? the day they are laid...can i not see anything yet? so what should i do, take them in out of the cold and wait so many days? i know that sounds stupid...but... i have heard and know that this breed is not the greatest at laying and being good moms , because they are layers.. so if anyone has them or knows...can you tell me anything about them and fertile eggs, and what to do with the eggs now that hes there.

Posted 6 years ago #
  2. campbell ridge
    Administrator

khaki campbells are the most prolific layers of all. Do you mean they are not good at brooding? If you want to breed ducks you will have to incubate them in an incubator or wait until your duck goes broody. In the meantime bring the eggs in every day and use them in place of chicken eggs for all your cooking. They are extremely tasty and versatile, making a lovely rich yellow cake because of their large yolks.

Sarah L
    Posted 6 years ago #
  3. hiya as Sarah says you can eat the eggs fertile or not but the fact you have introduced a male im guessing you want ducklings a member recently got her khaki to go broody and hatch ducklings but that is very rare so an incubator is a good idea
    this link will tell you about candleing eggs if you do intened to incubate them yourself and includes good pictures of what to look for
    http://www.metzerfarms.com/Candling.cfm

mo x
    Posted 6 years ago #
  4. Katydid

You won't see anything in the eggs with candling until they have been sat on/incubated for about 7 days.
    KT

No holidays, too many birds.
    Posted 6 years ago #
  5. Katydid

Good link, Mo.

Posted 6 years ago #
  6. pastrychef

ah yes sorry....they are great layers and we have been eating the eggs.
    But i did have all females, and the man i bought them off of, called me and asked me a favor.he has runners, and khaki's for his kids, they show them for 4H. Well the khaki's he didn't sell, and kept got killed by an owl, all 4 except for the drake. He asked if i would take the drake and ge some babies, for his kids. i of course agreed. But i had ducks long ago, not khakis, and the female laid and egg and sat on it, and hatched it and so on.
    These girls are so different. They just lay and run. lol. I gave them laying boxes and hay and all that. they lay..not in the boxes (never have). I just didn't know..do i take every egg they lay and incubate it? cause there is no way to tell? until after 7 days? since the first day he was here he has been mating with them. Are they like every other animal and the girls have to be "in heat" ( please excuse me iam using horsey words...lol) for them to be successful?

thanks for answering and your patience.
    susie

Posted 6 years ago #
  7. pastrychef

ps, thanks for the link. its great.

Posted 6 years ago #
  8. hiya again, no they dont have to be in heat, just collect the eggs daily and keep them somewhere cool but not the fridge until you have as many as you want to incubate then start them all of together, there is no way of telling in advance if they will all be fertile its just luck, there is also no way of telling what sex they will be so theres a chance you will get alot of males but sure your friend knows that
    glad you found the link useful

mo x
    Posted 6 years ago #
  9. Katydid

If I may add, don't keep the eggs for more than 2 weeks before incubating, and I always turn my eggs over every couple of days, don't leave them just sitting.
    Good luck.
    KT

Posted 6 years ago #
  10. pastrychef

I borrowed an incubator, and am collected and turning and marking with a pencil. oh and misting, and have a bowl of water in there for humidity. Thanks everyone... now the waiting game. :)

Posted 6 years ago #
  11. Katydid

Great, Good luck.
    KT

Posted 6 years ago #
  12. pastrychef

So far i have 7 ducklings growing. I have a few more eggs to wait and see if they are fertilized. but its exciting. :) iam wondering if anyone has ideas for after they need out of an incubator....ill start a new thread or check out others. But thanks i can't wait for babies....

Posted 6 years ago #
  13. Pastordot

Check the post that Mo has put on with the title "Everything you need to know about raising ducklings" - it has a link to a great site with lots of good information.

Then just have a look all around this forum for all the great posts...

Good luck,
    Dottie

Posted 6 years ago #
  14. pastrychef

Thanks Pastordot. I did have a look around and found that link , along with other things...great info!... thanks

Posted 6 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.