Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Geese

Hatching goose eggs

(11 posts)

Tags:

1. gillybean65

I have 4 sebastapol Goose eggs to hatch is it OK to use my clocker hen or will they be too big for her. I understand that I will have to mist them and turn them twice a day as they will be too big for her. Do you think she will manage 4 big eggs and 6 of her own? Many thanks for any advice

Posted 5 years ago #
  2. Katydid

Clocker hen? Sorry not sure what that is but I really can't see a chicken, even a big one, being able to sit on goose eggs. especially since they need 30ish days. Not 21.

Anyone else out there got any ideas?
    KT

No holidays, too many birds.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  3. Mama will be able to help here as she has had them all in the past

mo x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  4. campbell ridge
    Administrator

Your hen might manage her own 6 but not 2 goose eggs as well and she will be exhausted after her 21 days so won't last the distance for the goose eggs I am afraid.

Sarah L
    Posted 5 years ago #
  5. Mama

Hi,I wouldn't mix the eggs as Katy says goose eggs take longer to hatch and the hen will be confused to say the least .She could even leave the nest once her own chicks have hatched and also eggs may get broken in her efforts to turn. I have hatched duck eggs under a hen but not goose. Personally I wouldn't do it as you would have to turn right up until the last day and a mother hen knows which way up the egg should be on the day of hatch and helps position them. Do you know anyone with an incy for the goose eggs as that may be your better option and let mother sit on her own eggs. Good luck Mama .

Goose Girl
    Posted 5 years ago #
  6. gillybean65

thanks for all the good advice I have bought and incubator and the eggs are doing well 3 out of the 4 have started to develop so fingers crossed, I will let you know if we get any goslings in the next couple of weeks

Gill

Posted 5 years ago #
  7. Mama

Oh brilliant ,do hope they hatch well and thanks for the update .Good luck .Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 5 years ago #
  8. gillybean65

hopefully by tonight we will have a gosling she has pipped and is chirping away will update later

Gill x

Posted 5 years ago #
  9. Mama

Oh wonderful Gilly ,can't wait to hear and see pics .Mama x

Goose Girl
    Posted 5 years ago #
  10. gillybean65

Gerald the goose is now 10 weeks old and is the most beautiful goose so friendly I just love him/her to bits I will try and post pics xx

Posted 5 years ago #
  11. Mama

Aw how lovely to read ,yes please do as think geese are just the most intelligent of fowl .Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 5 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.