Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Gardening

Digging up a Eucalyptus tree

(14 posts)
  • Started 8 years ago by bryonycameron
  • Latest reply from admin

1. bryonycameron

We have a 6-7 meter high Eucalyptus tree in our back garden and we wish to remove it. I was wondering what the best way would be without cutting it down and killing it as I am sure that we could find it a new home if we tried!!

I was wondering if anybody could give us any advice.

Thank you

Bryony

Posted 8 years ago #
  2. Hi Bryony,
    I am not sure what's the best way to go about digging it up but we have one in our garden and I know that my husband cut all the branches off and cut a big chunk off the tree so there was just a stump left and now there is new growth on the trunk. I wonder if you can take a cutting and get this to establish itself in a pot and then if when you do dig the tree up if the tree doesn't survive you have a cutting.
    Sorry can't be more helpful, will have a look through some gardening books.
    Kind regards
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 8 years ago #
  3. Hi Bryony

It sounds quite a big tree! You would need to take a lot of soil with the root ball, in order to keep the roots in tact. A very big hole would have to be dug to first - twice as big as you anticipate the root ball to be. Then fill the hole with some nice soil, leaving room for the root ball. Firm it in well, stake the tree & water - then keep your fingers crossed!

It would be much easier, and safer for the tree, if you cut the trunk off, a foot from the ground. We did this to our Eucalyptus, and it came back as a bush - but we thought it was a much prettier form, which suited the garden.

I wonder if anyone else has any ideas?

TopVeg

Posted 8 years ago #
  4. bryonycameron

Goodness, I can see this tree becoming a little more challenging than I thought. We want to remove it really as I know how much work they are, and we only have a very small garden, so we thought we would remove it before it started dropping everything!! I did want to try and give it to a willing home, but it may just be easier to chop it and get rid of it completely!

Thank you for the very speedy responses.

Bryony

Posted 8 years ago #
  5. campbell ridge
    Administrator

Hi Bryony, you could root prune it this autumn, then dig it out next year and replant it elsewhere, but I think the easiest option would be to prune it into a neat bush shape now and keep doing so every year.
    Love your darling little ducks!
    Sarah L

Sarah L
    Posted 8 years ago #
  6. bryonycameron

Thanks ever so much Sarah. They are very cheeky and make a huge amount of noise for such a small bird, but fantastic fun!

Bryony

Posted 8 years ago #
  7. campbell ridge
    Administrator

LOL My young "ladies" are real squawkers too!

Sarah L
    Posted 8 years ago #
  8. bryonycameron

HEHE!! We had a neighbour stop and chat to us the other day who commented on the noise that the ducks made and how loud it was! But thankfully he said that he prefered it to the dogs barking and actually said it was a rather nice noise! PHEW!! He then came in to see them and was more shocked at the size of them than anything else as he expected them to be huge with the noise they make!!

Posted 8 years ago #
  9. Hi Bryony,
    With regards to your Eucalyptus tree my husband did exactly what topveg said, "cut the trunk off, a foot from the ground... and it came back as a bush." Ours is very slowly growing back, so I would say this is an option. I will upload a photo of before and after if I can find them on the computer!
    Your ducks are very cute and look small so I can see why your neighbour would be surprised when they make a loud quacking!
    Kind regards
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 8 years ago #
  10. bryonycameron

Hi Sara,

Thank you ever so much for that advice. I think that making it into a bush does seem like the best option rather than killing it!!

Best wishes

Bryony

Posted 8 years ago #
  11. Hi Bryony,
    Glad you like the idea. I can't find a photo of my eucalyptus so will take a photo tomorrow and post it here so you can see how it has regrown.
    I am also going to try taking some cuttings as where ours is planted will soon be where our new french doors open out to the garden and the eucalyptus was planted by my husband's Grandma so I don't want to lose it.
    Kind regards
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 8 years ago #
  12. Hi Bryony,
    Here is the Eucalyptus tree having been cut down to a stump last year and now has grown back nicely.

Hope you are well.
    Kind regards
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 7 years ago #
  13. bryonycameron

Hi Sara,

Gosh. I can't believe how quickly they seem to grow! Yours must have been fairly big to begin with.

That certainly looks like a better option and we will just have to keep pruning it each year to keep it small. I think even the look of yours may be too big!

Does yours still drop its bark and leaves all year round? Ours hasn't quite got to that stage yet but I am dreading it when it does.

Thank you ever so much again for the advice and photos...i'll get the boy to find a saw and do some mans work!! HEHE!!

Hope you had a good weekend.

Bryony

Posted 7 years ago #
  14. Hi Bryony,
    Haven't done any trimming of the eucalyptus so no wonder it is so big! I haven't noticed it losing it's leaves or bark, will keep my eyes pealed! Yes ours was quite big, it was planted when my husbands Grandparents lived on the farm, so is prob at least 10-15 years old.
    Yes I did have a good weekend. Went to a charity ball, took neice and nephew out for lunch and went to a christening so very busy!!!
    Hope yours was good too.
    Kind regards
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 7 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.