Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Quail

Cheap Cage for my quail.

(7 posts)

Tags:

1. rozza2012

Hi,

I currently keep my quail in a 2 level rabbit hutch with extra small mesh around the bars.

I currently have my first ever lot of quail eggs in the incubator. Hopefully when they go out side after the brooder etc they the females can go into my current cage.

I want to keep the males separate and have been looking at cage options. I had a thought (possibly quote strange) but I was thinking of using a shallow plastic storage box for the base and another one turned upside down for the roof. and in between using some plastic tube at each end to the desired height. Then mesh around the middle and create a door.

Does anyone know if this would be ok or know of any pre-made cages similar which would do the job. It would be nice to keep this extra cage on top of my current cage.

Posted 5 years ago #
  2. Mama

Hi ,Sure Sara and Wolf can help when they come on as they and others keep quail.Sure you will get loads of advice and info .good luck ,Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 5 years ago #
  3. Hi Rozza,
    Don't use plastic as this will give the quail splayed legs. Could you get a hamster/guinea pig outdoor run so that they have a sheltered part and a part with wire sides and then this can be placed where ever you want, although the one I have doesn't have a base.
    Kind regards
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 5 years ago #
  4. rozza2012

Hi Sara,

Thanks for that,

What if I attached either a think piece of wood to the floor and then have saw dust on top, would that be better do you think?

Posted 5 years ago #
  5. Hi Rozza,
    Yes that sounds fine as long as the wood isn't too slippy, you can also use straw instead of saw dust.
    Kind regards
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 5 years ago #
  6. rozza2012

thank you, I will have a go at making a cage and see how I get on.

I'll try posting a photo once ive finsihed if your interested in seeing it?

Posted 5 years ago #
  7. Hi Rozza, Yes we would be interested to see the homemade cage when you have finished.
    Kind regards
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 5 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.