Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Incubating and Hatching Eggs

Cold eggs under broody

(5 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by dollydylo
  • Latest reply from Katydid

1. dollydylo

Advise again please!!!

I have 3 broodies, two silkies and a maran. I moved the rabbit hutch that had the latest broody in about 6 hours ago(we had run out of space in the converted shed!) as the grass was getting too high in her run.
    I thought I had been careful, and moved the boarding that was underneath her as it sits directly on the floor. I checked her a while ago and two of the eggs weren't quite covered by her, and when I felt them they seemed quite cold.
    I have since readjusted her and the eggs and they are now all covered but am concerned that this may have scuppered their chances of hatching as I don't know how long they have been like this. we have a week left.
    Is it more likely we have lost these eggs for hatching? Thanks

Karen x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  2. Katydid

Hi Karen,
    Mum will rotate the eggs and can leave one out to go cool deliberately so it may just be that. The eggs do have to cool for a while each day.
    If you moved her and she sat on the eggs then she would usually check around her for all the eggs and put them under herself.
    In fact that is how I check that a hen is broody and not just sitting in a nest box. I take the eggs out from under her, if she puts them back she IS broody.
    Also she will sometimes remove eggs if she knows they aren't developing. She can detect the heartbeat and she doesn't want to keep bad eggs.
    But I have had eggs go completely cold for various reasons before now and still hatch so I would just wait and see.
    All the best.
    KT

No holidays, too many birds.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  3. dollydylo

Hi Katy..

Thanks so much for that.. I am reassured that I haven't possibly killed some growing chicks! I did think that she would move them back under herself which is why I am so concerned.

I will keep an eye and see what happens. Oh, and I won't be moving the hutch again!! LOL

Karen x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  4. Mama

Agree Katy ,nearly had heart failure when felt very cold eggs with chooks ducks and geese.Tis big mama's that worry and not feathered ones .Never moved a hutch though but sure all will go well.A good broody cannot not be deterred apart from the sin bin. Good luck girl we are all so excited .

Goose Girl
    Posted 5 years ago #
  5. Katydid

Thank you Mama I do know what you mean,
    Karen,
    I Regularly move my broody girls, with their eggs, to a safer place. The chooks take to it very well.
    Ducks? another matter, and I've got one now I will have to move for her own safety. Not looking forward to that at all.

I am sure that your girl knows best, and if she kicks the eggs out again, well you know what she is saying!!!
    KT

No holidays, too many birds.
    Posted 5 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.