Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Geese

21 eggs and still not sitting??

(11 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by ruthiesromeo
  • Latest reply from campbell ridge

1. ruthiesromeo

Hi i have a pair of Geese. Mrs Goose has been laying an egg every two days in a lovely nest she has made in the shed. She covers them in every time she lays a new one. 21 eggs now and no feathers in nest and shes not sitting?
    Any ideas?

Posted 5 years ago #
  2. sorry dont know about geese as I keep ducks but if she was a duck I would be telling you to remove them as she clearly isnt broody, and if she is only laying every other day that makes the oldest 42 days old so they will probably be bad by now anyway
    sure someone who knows about geese will answer you soon

mo x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  3. Mama

Hi, they make a nest to lay in broody or notand cover . As Mo says most of the eggs will now be rotten so take them out of the nest.What breed are they and how old are they ? Mama.

Goose Girl
    Posted 5 years ago #
  4. ruthiesromeo

I don't know what breed they are as were given to us when we bought our small holding. Think they are only 1 year old. So if I take them all away and just leave a recent few will she continue to lay? Shall I just take them away every time she lays rather than waste them? I could have a huge fried egg ;0)

Posted 5 years ago #
  5. Mama

Hi,could you send a photo as may be able to identify and if I can't another member perhaps will.Yes take all old and leave most recent .She will continue to lay unless she goes broody and seems a shame to waste them as so yummy .One of mine did go broody at about 16months but well into her laying season .Mine were Embdens and only had a short laying season . Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 5 years ago #
  6. Katydid

Mama, Do you check for fresh goose eggs the same way as for chicken eggs?
    KT

No holidays, too many birds.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  7. Pastordot

Hello,

I don't have geese either, and not a lot of experience with ducks (still learning alot here) but if you are not wanting to have goslings, I would say certainly take the new ones and have a lovely breakfast. It would be a shame to waste them.

Mo, you say she is clearly not broody. What is it that they do that makes you know for sure that they are broody?

Dottie

Posted 5 years ago #
  8. lol Dottie sit on the eggs and let no one near them and I dont think any broody bird would lay that amount of eggs before sitting

mo x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  9. Pastordot

Thank you Mo. I'm going to start a new thread as I have some odd things happening with the 'nesting duck' in my yard....and some more questions.

Posted 5 years ago #
  10. Mama

Hi Katy ,yes I did check everyday as my girls didn't synchronise laying .didn't do freshness tests as marked all eggs with the date and kept a diary.Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 5 years ago #
  11. campbell ridge
    Administrator

Hi my ducks lay every day in a nest or two and they are often covered. However as previously pointed out, they will build a "proper" nest and be very attentive to it and it's construction, popping in and out often to check no one is making any alterations.
    Take them away and use them, perhaps having to check each one you crack open just as a precaution as some of them have been in there a long time.

Sarah L
    Posted 5 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.