Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Quail

My quails wont lay

(4 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by quaint quails
  • Latest reply from Wolfyhybrid

1. quaint quails

I have 5 quails. I have checked them all and it appears i have 1 male and 4 females (I have tested the male and it is foaming when squeezed under the vent. I have them in an open wired run with wood chips and hay on the ground and I have a 10 inch high black plastic boundary strip around the bottom to keep the drafts away from the birds. I have made a covered box so they can go inside and there is also a terracotta pot on its side with an upturned hanging pastic covered to act like a cave. I have had them 7 weeks and not a peep of a egg. I have purchased quail food to see if this helps. I was told they were about 7 weeks old when I purchased them. Can anyone suggest what else I can do to get eggs.

Posted 5 years ago #
  2. Hi Quaint Quails,
    I found that temperature affected the laying or delayed the laying if the Spring started cold then the start of lay would be delayed.
    It sounds like you are doing everything you can, you could put some pebbles in little nest areas to try to encourage laying. My quail love to create nest aresa in thick straw.
    Hope they start to lay for you soon.
    Kind regards
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 5 years ago #
  3. quaint quails

Thanks Sara, it is just so frustrating when you are reading so many items and doing all the things that everyone suggests and then still no eggs. I was wondering whether I should try and build some sort of cage in the garage to get them out of the garden as I thought they might be scared of something. Like you say perhaps when the weather warms, things may change. xx

Posted 5 years ago #
  4. Wolfyhybrid

i wouldn`t move them to the garage, this will only upset the hens and delay laying for anything up to four weeks. are you in the UK as my quail stopped laying lately as the weather as cooled. But mine will start to lay again any day now and so will yours.

Posted 5 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.