Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Ducks

colour of duck eggs

(4 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by duskhunter
  • Latest reply from duskhunter

1. duskhunter

One of our Cayuga Aylesbury crosses is practising her April fool's joke rather late in the month.
    She always lays a blue egg but today I saw her lay a white one! Just in case I was dreaming I picked it up and it was toasty warm and a little wet.
    Has anyone else heard of this.

Posted 6 years ago #
  2. I think this happened with Dotties duck once, given yours is a cross guess she will do this occasionally as cayuga is normaly black and aylesburys white so getting blue was a mix of colours anyway lol,
    glad you saw her do it though or you would have been really confused lol

mo x
    Posted 6 years ago #
  3. Pastordot

I have a Cayuga that lays white eggs every time.

The first one she ever laid for me had a filmy coating on it, a little 'dirty looking', but definitely not black as I'd expected and every one thereafter is just as white as the one my Swedish lays. Since she is a rescue duck I don't know if she is crossed with anything else, but she looks clearly like a Cayuga.

I'd been so hoping for the black ones that I'd heard about...

Blessings,
    Dottie

Posted 6 years ago #
  4. duskhunter

Later in the day one of the white runners laid a blue egg in front of Ray! Like me he thought he must be dreaming so picked it up to find it toasty warm too.
    A group of students staying with us bought us a sign saying 'The Funny Farm' I think this was because the 'Kray Twins' used to chase one of them with jet black hair, I wondered if they saw her as competition as they are also quite black. They chased her right inside the house and only stopped at the bottom of the stairs when they got her to run up them.

Posted 6 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.