Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Hens

hens bubbling eyes

(17 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by dollydylo
  • Latest reply from dollydylo

1. dollydylo

Hi All

Well, after chasing another fox away earlier, I spotted my son's favourite hen with bubbles in her eyes. next time I looked they were clear, and then bubbly again.

I have moved her into the rabbit hutch (now vacated by the gold silkie) as I can't put her into the shed as the two broodies are there.

I have given her boiled egg and garlic in her water. Her tail is still up and she is still eating and drinking, and I can't hear any wheezing or other breathing problems. Any advise on what else I can do? Weather is shocking which I don't think is helping.

thanks

Karen x
    Posted 4 years ago #
  2. dollydylo

I've just moved her into the 'sin bin' for the broodies as it is empty, and put that in the garage. She has food and water and clean hay, so hopefully that will be much warmer for her overnight.

fingers crossed... kids have just said goodnight to her!

Karen x
    Posted 4 years ago #
  3. Karen on fb lots of people are talking of chickens like this as a kind of flu virus going around and most have theirs on antibiotics

mo x
    Posted 4 years ago #
  4. dollydylo

Hi Mo

Yes I saw that on the chicken keepers on FB. I actually had a good vet when my last bout of sickness happened a year or so ago, so think I will ring them and see if they can prescribe something.. let's hope I caught it in time!

thanks...

Karen x
    Posted 4 years ago #
  5. Mama

Aw me too Karen ,you are going through the wars at the min.You could try bathing with epsom salt but think you have enough on really .Eye ointment too.But really don't know as never had it with hens .Yes Mo read about this aweful virus in the uk very worrying to say the least .Hope all goes well Karen .Mama xx

Goose Girl
    Posted 4 years ago #
  6. dollydylo

Hi Mama

I have to say, with the chicks dying, a poorly hen, well water contamination and now our dishwasher broken I would like it if my hubby came home!!

Have rung the vet and am waiting for them to call me back. They have been very helpful in the past so hopefully they will sort me out!!

Karen x
    Posted 4 years ago #
  7. Mama

Aw yes so much harder on your own and really hope your good vet can sort out the hen .The wretched weather doesn't help either .Just hope things get better for you soon .Mama x

Goose Girl
    Posted 4 years ago #
  8. aww Karen these things are all sad and hard work and yes wish hubby was there with you, we can't help physically but we are here for you emotionally x

mo x
    Posted 4 years ago #
  9. dollydylo

Helloooo

Hen laid an egg this morning, and only a few bubbles in her eyes still. The vet left me some Betamox as he didn't have any baytril until later this week.

Is it 14 days after administration I can't eat the eggs? Oh, and any tips on the best way to hold her while giving her the drops... I have a dopler thingy but want to ensure it goes into her throat and not onto the floor!

The weather is shocking.. I feel for the hens huddled trying to keep away from the wind and rain - a near impossibility where we live! hopefully it will brighten up soon. Right, off to brave the storm to see the patient.. and remove the egg she laid earlier!!

Karen x
    Posted 4 years ago #
  10. Hi karen just wondering how your poorly hen is, dont want to over alarm but thought you might find this of interest due to where you live
    http://www.defra.gov.uk/animal-diseases/files/poa-lpai-ireland-120404.pdf

mo x
    Posted 4 years ago #
  11. Mama

Hi Karen,I found the best way was to wrap in a towel and hold under left arm. You can open the beak with left hand and give the drops with the right .Hope this helps and then hen will soon get better.Mama x

Goose Girl
    Posted 4 years ago #
  12. dollydylo

Morning

Thanks for the link Mo.. I hadn't heard about that so it was very interesting. West Cork is under an hour from us.. close enough!

Hen likes the meds, although I will use your suggestion on administering later Mama.. much easier than my current way!

No bubbles in eyes now, but she is sneezing and wheezing a bit... I'll be boiling her eggs later for her to eat as a treat..

Karen x
    Posted 4 years ago #
  13. Mama

Good luck Karen and hope she picks up soon ,good the the eye is better.Mama x

Goose Girl
    Posted 4 years ago #
  14. dollydylo

hello.. me again with the same hen! I gave the hen the betamox the vet gave before, and kept her on her own.. inside for over a week and then outside in the rabbit hutch/run so she wasn't sleeping with the other hens and we could keep her eggs apart.

Her eyes started bubbling again, so we got some Baytril from the vet which we gave for a week. Again, a week of all clear but still segregated, and now the bubbling is back. Of course the rain is still pouring which doesn't help.

she is eating and drinking well, and still laying each day. Any ideas on what we can do next or what could be wrong?

thanks....

Karen x
    Posted 4 years ago #
  15. Mama

Oh no Karen so sorry I cannot help but so hope someone can though .Your weather has been so dismal and no idea if that;s a factor .Maybe try an epsom salt wash ? Best wishes to you and the poorly hen .Mama x

Goose Girl
    Posted 4 years ago #
  16. how strange is this Karen, each time she is treated she picks up then starts all over again, otherwise she sounds well eating drinking and laying, this is a major long shot but is it possible she has an alergy to her bedding maybe, it almost sounds like hayfever, im wondering if its worth trying her on something different for a while,

mo x
    Posted 4 years ago #
  17. dollydylo

It's very strange as she is in great form otherwise. The bubbles aren't there all the time either. We are going to move her rabbit hutch and run onto a new spot of land, and change her bedding just to eliminate those from the problem.

We do hear our other hens sneeze from time to time in the summer and believe they have hayfever or similar, as they are always fine other than that.

Hopefully those bubbles will disappear soon.

Karen x
    Posted 4 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.