Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Incubating and Hatching Eggs

hatching chick egg

(11 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by pastrychef
  • Latest reply from pastrychef

1. pastrychef

I have a an incubator with duck eggs, and then i have a incubator with 1 chicken egg. My brother was at a friends farm, and there was 2 eggs on the ground where the chickens were roaming.she said to take them. i put them in the incubator and 1 of them was fertile. i waited the 21 days, turning, and not turning 3 days before, with humidity...etc. "He" grew and filled the egg. and then i waited...nothing. My question is how long do i wait to see if "he "is late? may 1st was 21 days.he is now 3 days late. there is no smell. i don't want to throw him out and him still be alive. I had to open the incubator to turn eggs or to grab one to candle. That would slow him down right? i was really looking forward to a surprise breed of chicken. Its kind of disappointing. i REALLLY want him to hatch. i have been watching the egg alot lately waiting for movement, my family is joking with me saying he doesn't like me watching....when i stop he will come out.... so how long is too long to wait?

Posted 5 years ago #
  2. Hi Pastrychef,
    I tend to leave the eggs for 7 to 10 days afterwards.
    Good luck hope you get a hatch.
    kind regards
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 5 years ago #
  3. pastrychef

thank you!!
    ill let you know.

susie

Posted 5 years ago #
  4. campbell ridge
    Administrator

can you hear or see any movement? cheep to it and if it is alive it should respond. It's possible the the settings were not quite right in the beginning and the process didn't start straight away.

Sarah L
    Posted 5 years ago #
  5. pastrychef

ive been trying to watch and see movement..., i don't know if iam watching too long or what and iam seeing things....
    but i havn't opened it for days and theres water in there , heat has been good.
    when it does just start to move, how much movement is there? ill have no problem noticing? and its hours right between first movement and pip?
    it will be interesting to see if my duck eggs are late too. they should start in the next couple of days.

Posted 5 years ago #
  6. pastrychef

duck eggs are late too... so it must have been me, but if you have to turn them....its hard to do without having to open the incubator to do that, and then the temp goes down. not majorly but still.
    next batch of duck eggs is gonna be a quick open and turn!

Posted 5 years ago #
  7. Hi Pastrychef,
    Can you get an auto turner for your incubator, I have one so it's one less thing to think about and you don't have to open the incubator.
    Hope the duck eggs hatch soon.
    Kind regards
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 5 years ago #
  8. pastrychef

thanks, yes ill have to look into getting one definately. because this is not good. they are all late. which the only thing i can think of is the temp drop when i opened to turn or took out to candle..thanks. next batch iam hoping i do better with thanks.

Posted 5 years ago #
  9. pastrychef

i listened and candling and checked colors when candling and decided it wasn't good. started opening them. they were definately dead. developed...almost there...but dead. crossing my fingers for batch 2.
    thanks everyone.

Posted 5 years ago #
  10. Wolfyhybrid

Opening the incubator to turn the eggs is fine even though you loose a bit of heat. what you must not do is overheat the eggs. You can loose heat for a few hours but over heat them for a short time and you will loose the chicks.

Posted 5 years ago #
  11. pastrychef

the second batch was successful. i did open to turn, but just "open" enough to stick my hand in to turn, thats it, it helped.

:)

Posted 5 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.