Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Wildlife

A sad tale!

(5 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by yanky
  • Latest reply from campbell ridge

1. yanky

Hi everyone haven't posted for ages but when something horrid happened yesterday I knew who I could share it with!
    We have had a pair of mistle thrushes nesting in our garden for the past month. They've been fantastic parents & we think there are 3-4 chicks in the nest at about 12 days old. Mother thrush was caught by the sparrow hawk yesterday & I thought that might be the end but the male is continuing to feed & do it all!
    It really upset me as they had been doing so well.
    Just wondered if anyone had experience of something like this & if there's anything I can do to help? Do you think he'll manage??
    Yan.

Posted 7 years ago #
  2. sorry Yan, its very sad when we see this happen but nature is like that, dont worry to much if dad is feeding them, they are nearly fledgling age so im sure they will be ok, all you can do to help really is try and provide food for dad, worms or mealworms maybe just to make his job a bit easier

mo x
    Posted 7 years ago #
  3. Mama

Hi Yan,nice to see you but on a sad note .As Mo says do your best to help feed and know you will .Good luck daddy thrush .Hope all is well with you and the feathereis .Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 7 years ago #
  4. yanky

Hi Mama
    Thanks nice to be back! Even sadder now think nest is empty or they died! Daddy stopped feeding last night but is still flying around defending! Think writing was on the wall when mother was killed-so sad-father tried so hard! NatuRe I suppose!
    Yes all we'll with all the feathereds! Hope same with you.
    Yan xx

Posted 7 years ago #
  5. campbell ridge
    Administrator

Thrushes and blackbirds leave the nest before they can fly, so if they are old enough, you may find they are safely tucked away under bushes etc. In which case this would account for Dad still defending and you may even see him disappearing into a bush to feed one or two.
    Don't give up hope yet.

Sarah L
    Posted 7 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.