Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » General Discussion

to turn or not to turn...that is the question lol

(3 posts)

1. As some of you know im watching a Bluetit nest with a camera, there were 9 eggs in the nest and this morning only one left to hatch, not only does the mother turn and roll the eggs several times a day but when she is off the nest the hatched chicks treat remaining eggs like a rugby ball, it is pushed shoved and rolled all over the place
    Now everything I have read on line or on here says when incubating eggs you should stop turning towards the end, wild birds clearly dont do this...makes you wonder doesn't it

mo x
    Posted 7 years ago #
  2. Mama

It certainly does as I think all mother birds do this including fowl.Could it to be to do with loss of heat in an incy as mummy wouldn't have that problem ? Wonder if anyone can explain .Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 7 years ago #
  3. Mama I have done alot of reading on this now and it seems its more a matter of ...there is no NEED to turn them in the last few days more than a...DO NOT turn them, and slight loss of heat at this stage wouldnt harm them as they generate their own heat and infact I've read the heat should be turned down slightly at the end
    the last egg in our nest has hatched fine despite been treated like a rugby ball for the last few days

mo x
    Posted 7 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.