Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Ducks

Indian Runner Hatching- HELP pleeeease!!

(38 posts)

1. jacinda

Hi!
    So everything is very exciting, Jemima's clutch is due tomorrow!
    Today, one of the little babies started hatching, however my dad found the duckling, still half in its shell, dead and bloody, in the middle of the duck run- a good 10m from jemima's nest!
    Would my two boys Max and Pongo have done this? I cant work out what happened and I'm really worried for the others now if/when they start to hatch!
    Any advice would be great! Thanks so much X

Posted 6 years ago #
  2. Mama

So very sorry for your loss.Could have been several things including your boys. Maybe be best to seperate them until the hatch is over and even then then you will need to keep an eye on the little ones .Hope all goes well with no more losses .Good luck Jacinda and Jemima too.Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 6 years ago #
  3. oh sorry to hear this, as mama says yes it could be the drakes of even mum if she knew it had died, but id be more worried about the boys than mum
    hope the rest hatch soon and healthy for you

mo x
    Posted 6 years ago #
  4. duskhunter

Thinking of you Jacinda. I think I would have a night time vigil for peace of mind but would seperate the boys if you don't. If you still have a problem with them out of the way at least you know it wasn't them.

Posted 6 years ago #
  5. jacinda

Thank you mama, mo and duskhunter for your kind comments!
    I cant believe I'm saying this but I do hope it was the boys, just so that I know now that the others will be safe as I have separated them! If it turns out it wasn't them, what should I do next?? Jemima wouldnt kill her own offspring if they are healthy would she? Will let you all know what happens tomorrow!

Posted 6 years ago #
  6. Mama

Sadly some mummys do but hope not in your case ,fingers crossed for tomorrow Jacinda and do let us know .Hopefully good news in the morning .Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 6 years ago #
  7. jacinda

Hi everyone!
    No progress on the hatching as of yet, they are due today though so should I be worried? Chances of only one of the eggs being fertile must be quite small surely? I would hate for the poor little duckling from yesterday to be the only one to have started to hatch! This is my first ever time at hatching so I dont really know what to expect other than the fact that it supposedly takes 28 days! Is it normal for none of them to have started hatching today so far?

Thank you! (:

Posted 6 years ago #
  8. lisamaslen

Hi I would leave them as it can take up to 48 hrs for them to hatch. Just because you can't see any duckings dosnt meen they haven't started to hatch yet. Mum will keep them covered to keep them warm until they dry out . Good luck with your hatch x

lisa x
    Posted 6 years ago #
  9. jacinda

Hi again, this may sound stupid but how will I know when any of the ducklings start to hatch? Because Jemima is sitting on them, I dont want to move her to look in case I interfere and scare her off! I dont really know what to expect!

Posted 6 years ago #
  10. Mama

Not stupid at all.Be patient ,We all know it's hard to be so but nothing you can do until mama brings out her babies .Heres hoping for tomorrow Jacinda .Best wishes and good luck time will tell .Mama x

Goose Girl
    Posted 6 years ago #
  11. campbell ridge
    Administrator

Hi. I hope you now have some ducklings. Jemima will be doing the best job she can and I expect you may see a few little heads poking out from under her, before they all hatch. Try not to worry unnecessarily and leave her to it.

Sarah L
    Posted 6 years ago #
  12. jacinda

Ahhh its so exciting, a few are currently hatching under their mumma! At risk of sounding stupid, I know that despite my ducks being pets, they still generally like to keep themselves to themselves, but I just loved holding them when they were ducklings themselves. Will I be able to hold any of Jemima's ducklings when they are a little older or will it be irresponsible of me/ would she be very protective of them? Thank you, this site is a life saver! (:
    Jacinda x

Posted 6 years ago #
  13. campbell ridge
    Administrator

She will be very protective of them but she may also need you help if one gets stuck behind something. Just be calm and sit in the pen with them and they will get used to you being there. You may be able to hand feed them in a few days time, when Mum knows you aren't going to grab them and take them from her. Let Mum take them to a nice easy access shallow tray of water as soon as she is ready, they will very quickly learn to swim under her supervision and be able to move to a bigger pool when she thinks the time is right.

Sarah L
    Posted 6 years ago #
  14. jacinda

Oh ok thank you :)
    I can now see two little ones peeping out from under her, I dont know how many she has now!
    With regards to the fact that I separated my boys from her, when she is done hatching can I put them all back together or will they try to attack the babies? x

Posted 6 years ago #
  15. its a hard call Jacinda, if the drakes did attack the first egg they will probably attack the new ducklings, all you can do really is try and watch carefully for any naughty behaviour,
    hope all goes well for the little ones x

mo x
    Posted 6 years ago #
  16. duskhunter

How many babies has she got now Jacinda?

Posted 6 years ago #
  17. jacinda

Hi duskhunter, I just went to check on them and I can see about six or seven now!! I think she still has a few more to go as she is still sitting tight! This is so so exciting! x

Posted 6 years ago #
  18. campbell ridge
    Administrator

There is no point in putting them back together atm as the father will play no part in raising the ducklings and may attack them not having been part of the process and he may think they are another drake's offspring. Let Jemima decide when she wants adult duck company, which may be in a couple of weeks I would suggest you play it by ear.

Sarah L
    Posted 6 years ago #
  19. duskhunter

Has she finished yet, Jacinda and how many are there?

Yes, it really is exciting.

I have two ducks sitting currently a khaki campbell on eight and a runner on about 14 and another lot of eggs as yet unclaimed of 17.

It seems the 17 eggs are a collection of two ducks that came together Cayuga x Aylesburys as I have seen both ducks lay there. This morning 2 eggs were warm. I want to let nature takes its course as I am fascinated to see the behaviour of the ducks but Ray says in a moment we won't have any eggs if all the ducks start to sit.

He is right of course and we don't want a lot of babies but I wonder what would happen if I left the eggs, will the pile reach a potential 28 eggs if both ducks lay 14, and if so who would sit or would they both sit in turn?

I am new to female ducks so when do they start to lay again after having brought up a family?

Posted 6 years ago #
  20. jacinda

She's finished now, she's brought her seven out to show off! Sadly there are 4 eggs left, which all had external pips but are now stone cold and she doesnt appear interested.

<center> </center>

Posted 6 years ago #
  21. Pastordot

Congratulations Jacinda! That is wonderful that she has seven. The photo is small but lovely.

Duskhunter (Angela), I'd suggest you start a new thread regarding your big nest as it could likely get overlooked here.

Good luck to all.

Blessings,
    Dottie

Posted 6 years ago #
  22. campbell ridge
    Administrator

They are lovely Jacinda. Good for Jemima. I presume you have checked the unhatched eggs for sounds and movement with a bit of subtle warming?

Sarah L
    Posted 6 years ago #
  23. jacinda

Pastordot- thank you :) you can click on the photo and it will enlarge; I know it is a bit small in my post!

Campbell Ridge- no I havent! Oh no, am I too late to do this? How would you recommend I warm them? I feel so bad, I never knew I could help them!

Posted 6 years ago #
  24. Mama

Congratulations Mummy Jacinda ,what a beautiful pic. Dont'feel bad about the other eggs as it often happens and maybe mummy duck knew best .Never heard of anyone without an incy warming abandoned eggs but then I haven't heard everything . Mama :)))

Goose Girl
    Posted 6 years ago #
  25. jacinda

Oh Mama, I do have an incubator I borrowed off a friend however I have tried to incubate 4 sets of eggs to no avail- that's why it was so good to find Jemima having a go too! Ive put them in the incubator and now to see what happens..

Posted 6 years ago #
  26. Mama

I do think it's too late and as I said mama duck may know best.good luck though but don't be to upset if nothing happens.You do have all those lovely babies .
    Mama x

Goose Girl
    Posted 6 years ago #
  27. jacinda

Mama! I thought it was too late too, but a little miracle has happened and we have a newly hatched 8th baby in the incubator!!!! I am so chuffed it is unbelievable! The only thing that worries me is that I never had any luck with development the 4 times I tried to incubate some eggs, i think there is a problem with temperature fluctuation, so what can i do with the new little one to be sure the heat wont kill him overnight?? x

Posted 6 years ago #
  28. jacinda

Also there may be a ventilation problem and I dont want him to suffocate!!

Posted 6 years ago #
  29. campbell ridge
    Administrator

I am glad you persevered. I had to help a late hatch from one of my ducks as she left it in the nest as the others were all raring to go. It was 36 hours later than the others. I kept it warm in a sock tucked into my bra.
    All I can suggest is that if you leave them in the incubator and you check it at regular intervals. Put an extra thermometer in there and give the new duckling some sugared water for a little boost of energy. If you are worried about ventilation, then prop the lid open very slightly
    Hope all goes well.

Sarah L
    Posted 6 years ago #
  30. jacinda

Thank you for the advice! I cant hear anything from the other eggs but it cant hurt to leave them in. Little one is obviously still wet- how do I give him the sugared water? Do i just put it in the bator in a little dish or do I hold him and pipette some in his mouth? I dont want to shock/scare him, I really want him to survive!

Posted 6 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.