Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Ducks

When do ducks start to lay again after raising a family?

(11 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by duskhunter
  • Latest reply from campbell ridge

Tags:

1. duskhunter

I have two ducks sitting currently a khaki campbell on eight and a runner on about 14 and another lot of eggs as yet unclaimed of 17.

It seems the 17 eggs are a collection of two ducks that came together Cayuga x Aylesburys as I have seen both ducks lay there. This morning 2 eggs were warm. I want to let nature takes its course as I am fascinated to see the behaviour of the ducks but Ray says in a moment we won't have any eggs if all the ducks start to sit.

He is right of course and we don't want a lot of babies but I wonder what would happen if I left the eggs, will the pile reach a potential 28 eggs if both ducks lay 14, and if so who would sit or would they both sit in turn?

I am new to female ducks so when do they start to lay again after having brought up a family?

Posted 6 years ago #
  2. campbell ridge
    Administrator

I would suggest -if you haven't done so already, that you mark the eggs with the date they are laid. If they are still adding eggs to their nests, can you be sure they are still mating with your drake in order for them to be fertile? Once they are seriously sitting they will not lay anymore and only come off the nest 2-3 times a day for food, water and poop!

As for the unclaimed 17 eggs I personally would remove them as clearly that is too many for one duck to raise and no one is interested in brooding them. If they haven't been out in the rain, do the floating freshness test on these and use them as normal.

Sarah L
    Posted 6 years ago #
  3. Pastordot

As you might recall from my current post of the "Strange Nesting", I had two Blue Swedish ducks laying in a nest in my yard.

I started marking the eggs with the dates and began removing some of the older eggs when it got up to 14 eggs. Then it leveled off to laying just one a day as I suppose one of the ladies lost interest.

I removed a few more of the very oldest and the one who was apparently serious began sitting full-time when it got back up to 14. She is still sitting and it will be 28 days of full-time sitting on next Tuesday so I am anxiously awaiting to see what will happen.

I would definitely suggest that you remove some as Sarah says, 17 is too many.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do with them.
    Dottie

Posted 6 years ago #
  4. duskhunter

I don't really want any of the 17 to hatch but won't I upset the ducks that are laying them one of them sits most of the day on them currently?

Next year I will remove any eggs I see because I do not want any more babies and the two runner drakes are very insistent on seeing to each duck. the Khaki Campbell drake is not as rampant he has Mrs Camnpbell to whom he is devoted.

I would like some of their offspring so am letting her sit on her 8 eggs, although some of them could have runners as fathers.

I know it might seem silly but I don't want to upset the two ducks with the 17 eggs by removing them all but I already have their offspring in my 11 Katy incubated for me.

Posted 6 years ago #
  5. Pastordot

I've read on some other posts here that if you really don't want ducklings it is a good idea to remove the eggs and take the nest away and that they are bothered at first, but that they get over it and get on with other things shortly after.

Perhaps you can distract them with extra treats or such to keep their minds off the missing eggs....

Posted 6 years ago #
  6. ducks are by nature tidy when it comes to laying their eggs, mine mainly lay in the shed each morning and always in the same corner and are removed everyday, the fact you have 17 eggs in one spot that no duck wants to sit on implies to me they are just laying in the same spot because they havnt been moved, you will not upset a duck by removeing eggs unless they are very broody which these clearly arnt and the warm ones were freshly laid as they are warm when the duck lays them

mo x
    Posted 6 years ago #
  7. duskhunter

The ducks are taking it in turn to sit all day or for many hours of the day so I think will soon start to sit for real. The only difference is that they are sharing a nest.

Posted 6 years ago #
  8. duskhunter

I have taken all the eggs away there were 18 in all so they have been laying at least two to 3 a day.
    None seem to have been bad as in floating in water but is there another way to tell?

Posted 6 years ago #
  9. sorry apart from a very rare occasion I havnt heard of a duck laying more than one egg a day so im thinking if the eggs you have found are from 2 ducks the oldest must be 9 days old now

mo x
    Posted 6 years ago #
  10. duskhunter

I made a cake with the fresh eggs. Some of the others were rather dried in the shell a little as though they were partially cooked. They didn't smell though.

Posted 6 years ago #
  11. campbell ridge
    Administrator

I could have sworn you said one was sitting on 8 and another on 14 and that the other 17 were abandoned. Anyhow you have done the best thing and regained a bit of control. Mine always lay in the same nest every day, so if i left them they they would stock pile. One of my girls constantly goes broody and she will lay in a different place when she does so.

Sarah L
    Posted 6 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.