Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Ducks

Ducks have stopped laying.

(11 posts)

1. sharon

Hello I'm new.. but great to air my duck issues! Oh and read others! I have had our 2 ducks 1 drake indian runners for two and a half years from ducklings ah! They laid right round to end of Nov last year but stopped at end of Aug this year.. Other duck forums -yes, others.. said that they slow down as they get older, but surely this isn't old and a very big variation. No other issues, rats, cats,or frights as far as I can tell they seem as happy as ever! So just accept this is normal and have to buy eggs for Christmas pudding! We have had our fair share in the past of rats, dog bites, egg binding, bad legs etc but came through all with worry and increased experience. Any similar experiences out there thanks, Sharon.

Posted 7 years ago #
  2. Hi Sharon,
    Welcome to the farmingfriends forum.
    My ducks are just over a year old and have been laying one egg a day just about everyday since they started. They are khaki campbells famed for their laying. They laid right through Winter last year so it will be interesting to see if they do this year.
    I don't think that 2 and a half years is old in duck terms. I was reading only this morning that ducks can live to 7 or 8 years old.
    Sallie may be able to help as I think she used to have runner ducks.
    Do your ducks have names?
    Kind regards
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 7 years ago #
  3. campbell ridge
    Administrator

Hello Sharon,
    Your ducks aren't old enough to be slowing down.
    My two campbells have gone down to laying only one each every other day. This morning we had none. I think the longer nights and the fact that they don't have food in their house is causing this, as they must need the extra daylight + food = energy for laying. Up til the clocks going back they were each laying one per day. We also think that their energy is going into laying up fat for the winter.
    We have tried putting extra food out during the day, but it doesn't get eaten, so I guess it's the length of time spent feeding, rather than the amount of food consumed.
    Which will only get worse with the winter daylight dwindling.
    Regards,
    Sarah L

Sarah L
    Posted 7 years ago #
  4. sharon

Thanks both Sarahs, names first, Velvet, Chalky and Galaxy who is the black drake. They all went into moult at end of Aug except Chalky who did it a month later she is our 'special' duck and very much the second mate! I read that the drakes do two moults a year but not ducks? So with all that energy going into new feathers etc seems this has stiopped the laying. I was boasting to friends, - chicken keepers that ducks don;t stop laying in the winter as much as hens, their hens laid right through last winter!! I have stopped bigging up the ducks now! I think I will up their food but they do seem to only take what they need and I think they prefewr grubs etc from under the dead leaves at the momment. Will post any interesting observations here thanks very much Sharon.

Posted 7 years ago #
  5. We have 9 runners and 3 aylessbury ducks which we got around 2 months ago and we have had no eggs yet. I guess the stress of moving etc stopped them. Any ideas when they should start laying again?

Posted 7 years ago #
  6. Jeni

I think I've used every excuse in the book when it comes to our ducks! We have 4 girls two are indian runners,two are mixed breeds. Laying stopped in August when one went broody, then they all moulted and we waited. Finally there was an egg and we have one most days but it's from the girl that hatched this year. I don't think the others will lay until the days are longer, shame- as our duck eggs are very popular!

Posted 7 years ago #
  7. Hi Sharon,
    Great names for your ducks. Not sure how many moults the ducks do. My drake, Sir Francis Drake! has done one moult this year, but haven't noticed the females moult too much and still getting 4-6 eggs out of 6 ducks a day.
    They started laying last year and laid all through the Winter and looks like they will do this year too. My ducks like yours love to free range for grubs, they wander into the field and hunt for slugs and snails. I have food in the hut as the hut is very big and they nibble on the food when they return to the hut in the afternoon at this time of year.
    An interesting observation I have noted is that my ducks and drake often walk in a line one behind each other with Sir Francis in the middle. I don't know why they walk like this and not all side by side.
    Hope they start laying again soon.

Hi boreray,
    Welcome to the forum. They may start laying before Spring as mine started last year in September and haven't stopped since so went theough one winter and now into the next! Or they may wait now til Spring. I find that my khaki campbells and not affected by temperature and daylight hours. They generally lay their eggs before I let them out in the morning.
    Hope you get an egg soon.

Hi Jeni, Welcome to the farmingfriends forum.
    Interesting to hear about your ducks. I agree the eggs are popular and tasty. great for baking choc chip muffins and friends love to poach them or make omelettes with them! Hope all your ducks start laying before the Spring.

If any of you have photos of your ducks and would like them posting on the forum to introduce your ducks then I can email you my email address.

Catch up with you all soon.
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 7 years ago #
  8. campbell ridge
    Administrator

Hi all, have been away for the weekend and left family in charge (oops!) Today, I cleaned out the coop and found 3 eggs under about 2inches of straw and then when i challenged my son and asked him when he had actually emptied the blue pool - he hadn't of course. He did it today and he found another egg in the pool! Looks like we are getting them out too early poor things! So have a look round your garden, they may well have dropped tham just about anywhere.
    And yes Sara, my ducks follow one another in a line. the 3 adults always go in the same order with Georgie who is always on watch, bringing up the rear. The babies seem to take it in turns and oftem one gets momentarily left behind and has to run after the others!
    Regards,
    Sarah L

Sarah L
    Posted 7 years ago #
  9. Hi Sarah,
    Hope you had a good time away. I found a duck egg and hen egg in the garden the other day in a dug out nest under the eucalyptus tree. Last week an egg was on the floor near their shell shaped pools so like you I must be getting them out too early. Generally get 4/5 eggs in the hut each morning but think that one or two are laying else where but the area they travel is vast with fields on all sides of our farm plus orchard, garden and lane as well as barns galore!
    I wonder why they travel in a line like that, it is interesting to watch. FRancis does seem to be in the middle all the time.
    Kind regards
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 7 years ago #
  10. quax

I reckon Francis must be in the middle to keep an eye on everybody. Jim spends alot of his time checking where his girls are, and can get quite worried if his girls go in different directions!!!!
    Rachel

Rachel
    Posted 7 years ago #
  11. Hi Rachel,
    Yes Francis does seem to look behind and infront to keep all 6 ducks in his sights! One of the ducks hangs back more I think this is because Francis gives her more attention as she is abit smaller than the other ducks and he can dominate her more.
    Kind regards
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 7 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.