Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Pets Corner

keeping pet rabbits

(6 posts)

1. As some of you know I have been babysitting my sons two rabbits while he is on holiday, I have enjoyed having them here so much i'm seriously considering getting a couple myself

We have had a couple when my children were little but in them days all I did really was the hard work and having 3 young children to care for I didnt have the time to sit back and enjoy them as much as I would now

Has anyone got any advise for me, these 2 are mini lops and are I have to say a bit fiesty and I have the painful scratches to prove it, Im wondering if thats their age, they are nearly 6 months old and i'm wondering if once spayed they will calm down abit, or even if I got this same breed from babies and got them more used to been handled from day one they would be calmer, if im having rabbits I really would like to be able to pick them up and sit them on my knee, does anyone know a good breed for this ?

Second question, what sex to get, should I be sencible and get 2 sisters like this or go the more exciting option and get a male and female and let them breed, whats involved with breeding rabbits has anyone experience of that ?

Of course those of you who know me will know I have already read lots about this on the internet but like with all animals nothing compares to chatting on a forum with someone who has experience so any advise would be great
    thank you x

mo x
    Posted 7 years ago #
  2. Mama

Hi Mo,It's many years like you since we had pet rabbits.We had New Zealand whites which were calm as they are big .Loved being stroked .We also had a male but he was not so nice as the female infact a vicious rabbit and very smelly and we had to give him away.Good luck on your search sure whatever you get will be as much fun as the loppys .Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 7 years ago #
  3. thanks Mama, well after reading loads im not going to be breeding seems harder work than breeding ducklings

mo x
    Posted 7 years ago #
  4. Hi Mo,

I kept two rabbits when I was younger, Blackberry and Brighteyes.

One had a problem with their teeth (had to go to the vet regularly to have them cut as they were not aligned and so didn't knaw down naturally) so my dad made a fabulous mansion like hutch that had two sides with a wire inbetween so they could still see each other. It also had an upstairs so that they could go to sleep upstairs at night cosy and warm but still see each other through the wire.
    I will see if I can find a pic of rabbits and hutch, not sure what breed they were.
    Best Wishes
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 7 years ago #
  5. thanks Sara ive read that can be a big problem with rabbits and have read not to fall for cute bunnies in pet shops but to go to a good breeder as we do when we buy our birds so hopefully they shouldnt get problems like that,
    I have already been out and bought a hutch similar to what you describe I will tag you in the photo on fb my sons bunnies are giveing it a try out while still with me and seem to like it lol
    why did your dad seperate them though ?

mo x
    Posted 7 years ago #
  6. Hi Mo,
    We had to separate the rabbits as one was frisky - Brighteyes with the buck teeth and Blackberry didn't like it and would bite Brighteyes as Blackberry had sharp teeth!
    Best Wishes
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 7 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.