Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Quail

Quail male attacks females? Help!

(4 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by Daisyquail
  • Latest reply from Wolfyhybrid

1. Daisyquail

Hi, I just recently received 3 Japanese quail, of which I was told there was 1 male and 2 females. I understand that male quails often pluck the feather of the female round the neck when mating, but this male seems to be particularly aggressive and is attacking one of the females anytime she goes near him, and is not letting her eat or drink, she is only able to get a little bit at a time, usually when he's off attacking the other female.

It's kind of upsetting because the female quail will just stand at the other end of their run, not daring to eat or walk around because she knows the male quail will come out and chase her.
    He also attacks the second female on occasion but not as much as the first. The first is also starting to go bald around her neck.

I think while they were in transit in their box, that the male quail got attacked a bit by the 2 females, as he is a bit scraggly, so I don't know if this is him getting his own back or what.

So my question is, how do I stop him from excessively pecking her? And do I need a male quail in order to have the females lay eggs? Would I be able to just keep the 2 females if I had to get rid of the male?
    Any tips for a new quail owner would be very much appreciated too! I have a book arriving in the post, but it's always good to get a range of personal experiences. :)

Posted 4 years ago #
  2. hello I only keep ducks so hope someone with quail can offer advise to you, my thoughts though are an aggressive male is bad news no mater if its a duck or quail or any other bird and if he is upsetting your females and you that much I would seperate him for a while to give the girls a break, yes you will still get eggs they just wont be fertile
    you havnt said how old they are he could just be a bit of a naughty teenager who will settle with time
    if you click Quail on the left of the page you will be able to read lots of posts on quail maybe you will find some interesting reading there
    good luck its sad when our birds dont get on as we expected them to

mo x
    Posted 4 years ago #
  3. Wolfyhybrid

Hi, If you do not intend on incbating the eggs then I should seperate the girls from the male, Males are very aggressive to other males but can also object to a particular female for no apparent reason. female quail are lovely calm birds and from my breeding experiences they relax more with a calm male. I have had a couple of females incubate thier own eggs and they were both with very calm, tame males.

Posted 4 years ago #
  4. Wolfyhybrid

PS; what breed are they and can you tell me the colour of the male and the females, mainly the chest colour.

Posted 4 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.