Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Hens

Chicks due in two days-Advice!

(59 posts)

1. Hi I'm new to the site and new to hatching chicks. We have two broody hens sitting on eggs, one due to hatch on Thursday and the other a week from today.Any advice for a newbie would be greatly appreciated :)

Newbie xo
    Posted 5 years ago #
  2. Hi Sinad, how exciting for you, how many eggs are there and are they there own ? thats not important just curious

The best part about haveing hens brood eggs naturaly is that fingers crossed there is nothing for you to do but be ready with the camera when mum is ready to show them off to you, and have the correct food ready of course

Things can sometimes go wrong and you might have to step in and rescue or raise a chick yourself so its good to be thinking ahead, If you click where it says Chicks on the top left of this page you will see posts by other members and there might be some interesting reading there for you

I do hope all goes well and without drama, and you let us know how things go but if there is anything that really worries you please ask as there's a lot of members who can help you :)

mo x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  3. Thanks Mo!
    The drama has already begun!!! The Amber is sitting on a mix of a neighbours eggs and our own and the speckled Maran is sitting on a mix from our own hens. Was just out to give them some treats which I use as a way to entice them off the eggs so as we can have a look at them. The speckled Maran is on ten eggs and the Amber Star nine but when she got up today there are only five eggs there!!! Could it be possible that she has some under her wings? I'm hoping so but i'm not too sure. The Amber star had been doing a great job minding her eggs, plucking her breast feathers etc but now I'm worried she has eaten them. Do you think this could be possible?? There's no other way the eggs could have gone anywhere as we are keeping the broody hens in the garden shed in separate nesting boxes and the Amber stars chicks are due Thursday

S x

Newbie xo
    Posted 5 years ago #
  4. oh sorry no idea, I hope for some reason she just has them hidden, the only other thing I can think is something else could have taken them, if they were dead or infertile she would know by now and remove them but you would have found them somewhere

mo x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  5. Mama

Hi Sinad,They can hide them under the wing ,I once made the mistake of lifting a broody up and two eggs fell out and smashed but can't walk about with them!!! .The only other thing I think is she may have buried them deep down in the nest, some do that if they know the eggs aren't viable.I wouldn't think at this late stage she would have eaten them as they would have chicks in them and not a normal egg.do hope you haven't had an intruder pinch them !!All so exciting as Mo says mummy hens will do all that is needed so sit back and enjoy the fun .Good luck and looking forward to hearing all.Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 5 years ago #
  6. Thanks Mo, thanks Mama!!
    I found out about eggs being hidden under the wings....The hard way!! We lifted the speckled maran and had three eggs break, it was very upsetting!!! The post man saved the day by placing her remaining eggs in with the Amber stars eggs and putting a nest of new eggs under the speckled maran hence the different "due dates".
    I'll keep my fingers crossed for a couple of fluffy arrivals anyway :)

S x

Newbie xo
    Posted 5 years ago #
  7. A valuble lesson for others there from you both....NEVER pick up a bird thats sitting on eggs
    lets hope like you say for some healthy happy chicks in a few days time :)

mo x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  8. dollydylo

Hi Sinad

I have hatched under a broody and an incubator, and the broody is just so much easier for us humans. We just sit back and let them get on with it!

I have never disturbed a hen sitting on hatching eggs, and definitely won't start now I know what could happen. We all learn and I am sure you have too.

All you need are chick crumbs and of course fresh water containers (not too deep as you don't want the chicks to drown in them). The broody will have the same as her chicks.
    Broody will do the rest! just keep an eye to check she is looking after them ok and hasn't got 'bored'. We returned our broody maran back to the main hens as she started laying and was more interested in getting out than looking after her chicks!

good luck!!!

Karen x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  9. Wolfyhybrid

can i just ask a question on this subject..once the chicks hatch what about the other hens and the rooster, should they be kept away.

Posted 5 years ago #
  10. dollydylo

I keep the broody separate from the other hens, but so they can all see each other. When the chicks are 8 weeks I put the broody back in with the others and leave the chicks for a few more weeks before mixing completely so they aren't as vunerable.

That said, I removed our broody maran at the weekend and the chicks are only 5 weeks old and they all seem to be ok

Karen x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  11. Hi wolfyhybrid:)
    We have quite a long run so once the chicks get big enough to leave mom we plan to section off the end of it and build a coop for them until we can integrate them with our flock. All going to plan of course! Keeping my fingers crossed:)

Newbie xo
    Posted 5 years ago #
  12. Wolfyhybrid

Ok thanks. My rooster is mating a lot with the hens and I do plan on allowing them to brood so must start thinking about building an area for them. chickens are much harder work than quails!

Posted 5 years ago #
  13. Mama

Yes always kept broodys seperate and no way near a bad boy.I even kept the breeding cocks apart as we all know what happens ,they fight !! Quail would seem more difficult for me as seem so tenderand panickity but you know your stuff Wolf .Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 5 years ago #
  14. Im slightly worried it's day 21 and the amber star just came off her eggs to eat i watched them closely and there was no sign of movement or any cracks. Is this normal?

Newbie xo
    Posted 5 years ago #
  15. Mama

Hi Sinad ,Don't worry it doesn't always happen to the minute ,could even be during the night .Is she clucking to the eggs when on the nest. ?If she comes off again you could have a listen to the eggs .Fingers crossed all will be well.Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 5 years ago #
  16. dollydylo

hi there

Just leave the broody to it.. 21 days is a guideline. We have had some hatch at 20, and others at 23! Have all crossed you have some chicks to show us soon!

Karen x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  17. The only noises i hear is giving out! They are two cranky ladies who don't like to be disturbed:) ill pop out again to them and see if she's talking to them. Would that be the norm?

Newbie xo
    Posted 5 years ago #
  18. Thanks Karen:) I've everything crossed!!

Newbie xo
    Posted 5 years ago #
  19. Mama

Yes it's lovely and she knows when they are starting to hatch.She clucks to encourage them out of the shell but as I said it could be tonight and as Karen says could be even later so don't get despondant. It is quite nerve wracking the first time round .Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 5 years ago #
  20. Im ridiculous i hardly slept last night and was up baking scones at the crack of dawn. Quite a source of amusement for the family :)

Newbie xo
    Posted 5 years ago #
  21. Mama

LOL I sat and watched mine give birth and my first hen laying an egg. All thought I had lost the plot :) It is all a delight .Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 5 years ago #
  22. its all very exciting but agree ..step away from the chickens lol...I would be exactly the same as you but its all out of your hands nature is in charge now
    go put the kettle on and enjoy your lovely scones, we look forward to some happy news and pics from you soon :)

mo x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  23. I cab hear chirping!!!! So excited!! How long can they take to hatch now?:) she's talking back to them a little but too x

Newbie xo
    Posted 5 years ago #
  24. dollydylo

that's fab news! It was two days until we saw some of our chicks that had hatched due to a very grumpy and protective broody. It might be another day or so until they are all hatched.. the broody knows what she is doing, so just trust her.

she will move any eggs that won't hatch away from her in a couple of days and concentrate on the chicks.

Karen x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  25. First baby chick just born:) mother and baby making lovely noises

Newbie xo
    Posted 5 years ago #
  26. Mama

AWW cheep cheep, hope you have many more soon :)Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 5 years ago #
  27. This is so exciting!! Good luck!

Posted 5 years ago #
  28. Mama

Any more news ,think we all on tenter hooks .:))Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 5 years ago #
  29. Still only the one! She's still sitting on the four other eggs while getting a hard time from the newborn who is mad for road!! :)Fingers are crossed for another few surprises in the morning

Newbie xo
    Posted 5 years ago #
  30. Mama

Oh lovely and yes me too .:))) Thanks for updating too .Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 5 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.