Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Hens

My rooster is getting one last chance!

(9 posts)

1. What should I do about my VERY aggressive rooster?
    He will attack people that come close or run at them from afar. Two weeks ago he almost took out my 13 month olds eye!! I almost did him in right then but I could not get ahold of him and had to see to my son.
    He will not attack the person he sees every day ( me) but even then he will have a day when he will try. He is a red road island . Please help or he will be in my slow cooker soon!

Do my hens really need him? As we have laying hens also,red road island like him. I was told the hens will not be broody .

Posted 5 years ago #
  2. Hi Deanna88,

sorry to hear about the rooster, if you don't intend to hatch the eggs or get the hens to hatch eggs then you don't need the rooster, the hens will still lay eggs without him.

Can you pen an area off for him and the hens so that he isn't able to get to humans unless you go in to the pen.

Hope you get sorted.
    kind regards
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 5 years ago #
  3. Hi Deanna here is a link from a member last year who had similar problems to yourself, there is a lot of reading in it some quiet funny but a lot of good advise from members who have dealt with aggressive roosters first hand

http://farmingfriends.com/forums/topic.php?id=2618

mo x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  4. dollydylo

Hi Deanna

We have had a few cockerals along the way. The first was very placid to us, but was so agressive with our hens that they died from shock, so our neighbour removed him for us.

Another guy we hatched was very aggressive to us and scared me aswell as my children (now 5 and 6). We all got scared collecting the eggs so we gave him to a friend's dad who had hens. It turned out he also had a cockeral, which was then killed by our guy.

With small children I must say I personally recommend to remove any aggressive cockerals. My son still remembers this guy and is nervous around any other cockerals.

You only need a cockeral if you want to hatch your own chicks.

Good luck with whatever you decided!

Karen x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  5. Mama

Hi Deanna,Think by now you have seen Mo's link and to be honest get rid of him as you and your children are more precious than a bad boy .We only ever had one bad one and he was as high as my knees .He was Henry the 8th as we called all the cocks Henry .Good luck on what you decide to do .Agree with Karen you cannot take the risk .
    Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 5 years ago #
  6. Thank you so much for the link! That was funny! To be honest I aw scared of him too untill he did that to my son and now I am just ready and waiting for him to come at me one more time or any of my kids.
    You see I went all winter not seeing him as my hubby did it all. But now that he is back at work I seen him every day and for a month he was attacking me every time he seen me. Then one day a friend was working in the yard and he was getting some dancing lessons from my rooster and he ended up hurting him pretty bad. I was angry that he would hit the bird with a toy bat ( not a soft one) and hurt his leg really bad.
    He got better in a week and he was back to his self being a bad boy! And that's when he came at my son.... Big mistake! Also he tried to attack my hubby and as you know he was always bragging how he never gets attacked by him hahahaha!!! It was the funniest thing ever , seeing him chase that bird to try and kill it but with no luck!! .
    So now he don't bother me so much but I think he still needs to go!
    Thank you Mama, dollydylo Sara and mo :)

Posted 5 years ago #
  7. Mama

Agree Deanna ,Not worth the hassle but did enjoy your story and made me smile .Mama x

Goose Girl
    Posted 5 years ago #
  8. Wolfyhybrid

All I can say is follow Mama's advice on this one.

Posted 5 years ago #
  9. Majd

hey i think mama is right you should get rid of him he's just useless get another rooster for the chicken... nothing is cuter than seeing little chicks around with their moms...
    take care

Posted 5 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.