Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Quail

Quail a good mother

(4 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by John Fletcher
  • Latest reply from Wolfyhybrid

1. Hi. A year ago I wrote in to say one of my Chinese Painted button Quails had gone broody and was sitting on a dozen eggs. Well after about 7 days she deserted them. This last month another hen went broody and sat on the eggs for the full period required about three weeks? She turned the eggs often and now I have the first ever 4 baby Quails like tiny bumble bees running around. Every time she calls they all go running and tuck under her puffed up breast feathers. Its so exciting as it is a first for me. They eat straight away. I lay a folded tea towel on the floor and put crushed chick crumbs on top of the flat material and also use a small plastic 1/4 inch sided flower pot water dish with fresh water. I also mash up some green veg which they peck at. John Gloucester.

Starman
    Posted 4 years ago #
  2. it sounds lovely John, really pleased for you

mo x
    Posted 4 years ago #
  3. Mama

How lovely is that and well done you .I would love to see them as Wolfy also has quail as did Sara .Thankyou for the update just wonderful to read .Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 4 years ago #
  4. Wolfyhybrid

Nice one, John. When my Japenese quail brooded her own I felt like the stepfather, i was so proud of her. i had said before that when quail do hatch their own they make great mothers. I like how you called them Chinese painted button quail, we here in the UK call them Chinese painted quail but in the USA they call them Button quail because when they first saw them they reminded them of buttons and the name stuck.

Posted 4 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.