Farming Friends Forum » Quail

Who isn't laying!?

(4 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by McCann12
  • Latest reply from Wolfyhybrid

Tags:

1. McCann12

Hello,

I am the proud new owner of four brown and white quails! The first day i got them i had 5 eggs, the next 4 eggs and for the past few weeks i get 3 eggs a day. Without seperating them all is there any way to find out if one isn't laying? I'm new to quails and don't want one of them to be ill or something and thats why shes not laying. I did think that maybe it's a different one each day that isnt laying but not sure how likely that is. Or perhaps the bad weather has caused this.

Any advice would be very appreciated!
    Thanks! :)

Posted 5 years ago #
  2. Mama

I can't help but sure Sara admin or Wolfy can as they both had quail .Try typing in the search bar for info until they come on .Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 5 years ago #
  3. Hi McCann12,
    I found that the temperature would affect lay and a change in routine could affect it.
    To check for signs of illness look at colour of droppings and consistency. Also their demeanour, if they are particularly fluffed up with heads into themselves and abit wobbly this can be a sign of illness.
    Hope theywill start laying regularly for you. Quail are such lovely little birds.
    Enjoy.
    kind regards
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 5 years ago #
  4. Wolfyhybrid

Sara`s answer is good advice. Also I keep quail hens in groups of 5 to 2 males but i dont get five eggs evey day sometimes it may be only 2 eggs laid depending on the weather. All my quail eggs are collected for incubation as I sell mature birds rather than the eggs therefore I sometimes leave the eggs in the pens for about a week before collecting them, One thing I have noticed is that by leaving the eggs there it encourages the hens to lay more frequently, when I remove the eggs laying drops off for a few days.

Posted 5 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.