Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Wildlife

I think my bunnies are WAY too young!

(13 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by Deanna88
  • Latest reply from Deanna88

1. So this morning I was given 5 bunnies that look to be only 4 weeks old. They fit in the palm of my hand. They will not eat or drink , right now I have them in a box in the house . What do you all think? How can I get them to eat? They will be raised for food ;) ......
    I really don't want them to die !

Posted 7 years ago #
  2. Hi again Deanna, I to have recently got 2 bunnies they were 8 weeks old when I got them but mine are pets I couldn't dream of eating them lol
    firstly they shouldn't be taken from their mum until at least 6 weeks old as they will still be suckling from her so this might be why they wont eat, im not sure what food you are feeding them but at such a young age sudden changes in diet would be really bad for them as their tummies wont yet have all the good bacteria it needs to help them, they get this bacteria from eating their mums droppings so im not sure how you can replicate that, ive found this link which looks quite helpful so its a starting point for you

http://suite101.com/article/hand-feeding-orphaned-rabbits-a196890

mo x
    Posted 7 years ago #
  3. Thank you for all the answers I really appreciate all the feedback !
    We had a kid drop them off unexpectedly yesterday. And to top it off they gave me pet store rabbit food !!! So I think I may need to go get a bottel for them and give them water at the least . I just really don't want them to die :(

Posted 7 years ago #
  4. Mama

Long time since I had bunnies Deanna and do hope they will be ok. Sure you will do your best for them .Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 7 years ago #
  5. campbell ridge
    Administrator

I presume they are wild rabbits you have been given. They will not be weaned by this age so need a substitute milk, as they should still be suckling. http://www.mybunny.org/info/newborn.htm

Sarah L
    Posted 7 years ago #
  6. They are kind of wild they have not been handeld much at all! But they where born by a breeder that sells meat rabbits . I really don't know why they gave me theses little guys . Thank you Sarah L

Posted 7 years ago #
  7. if you try to give them milk Deanna please read carefully the link i shared about suitable milk to use but at 4 weeks milk isnt as important as the right solid food, and 4 weeks is only your opinion and agree a breeder should have known better in the first place than to remove them from their mum

mo x
    Posted 7 years ago #
  8. Mama

They are not wild but just not handled to be tame as meat rabbits are normally .Don't understand really ,was it children bringing them to you to take care of ? If so from what breeder ? .Do hope you can keep them alive .Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 7 years ago #
  9. Well he's not a kid he is 22y but I call him a kid lol. The thing is he got them from one guy that bough them from the breeder . I have no clue who the breeder was or where he lives .
    I gave them some mushy pellets by a dropper and they liked it! So I will do that once a day till I see them eat on there own . Thanks Mama! Me too! :)

Posted 7 years ago #
  10. Mama

Oh well done ,and yes kids they are to us or some lol .Thanks for the explanation .They will be fine am sure under you care .Do let us know how they are growing .Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 7 years ago #
  11. Lmao!! No problem ! I just took a look at them and they are now trying to get out of the box and jumping so I think the food really help give them energy :))

Posted 7 years ago #
  12. well sounds like they are healthy if they are trying to jump out of the box lol, have you got them some hay, if they are 4 weeks they should be eating that by now and the roughage will be good for them, and of course water should always be available to them

mo x
    Posted 7 years ago #
  13. Yes I have some hay and a shallow dish of water . I now need to make a home for them outside been working on that . :)

Posted 7 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.