Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Geese

Advice for newbie please

(12 posts)

Tags:

1. chenry

I had 3 goose eggs in my incubator.It was day 32 yesterday and after 36 hours from a crack appearing,the first gosling hatched.He was bigger than I expected,and looked strong and healthy.He did have some of the yolk sac still attached,but I left him to dry off for a few hours and this came away by itself.I put him in the brooder,with heat lamp,and during the course of the day,he seemed to be getting stronger,although not standing.I dipped his beak in his water a couple of times yesterday evening but he didn't seem interested.Another gosling hatched during last night.This seems smaller.It was already dry so I took it to the brooder,only to find that yesterday's gosling has died.I have no idea why and am now concerned for this little fellow.Any advice please?

Posted 5 years ago #
  2. hello Chenry, how sad for you and the gosling, it sounds like you did everything right so its sad it died, I would drip feed this gosling with cooled sugar water to give it an enery boost its hard work for them cracking out of them eggs, and maybe offer some damp chick food to
    Is there any chance its to hot for them can they move from under the heat lamp if they want to ?
    whats the situation with the other egg ?

mo x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  3. chenry

I've got a thermometer under the lamp and its reading 90.There is room for him to move away if he's too hot.
    I've put some sugar in his water now.He takes it if i dip his beak,but he flicks the crumb away.
    He is holding his head up better than the first one,but is still not standing.He looks healthy and is cheeping a lot,but the other one did too.
    There is still no crack in the 3rd egg.Has he got less chance on his own?

Thanks.

Posted 5 years ago #
  4. personally I would be drip feeding him the water just of a tiny spoon or similar and would be feeding him the food very damp
    I hope another member Mama can advice soon as she had a very sick gosling she raised
    been alone dosnt effect his chances but he will be lonely try giving him a teddy to cuddle up to

mo x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  5. Mama

Hi,sorry to hear the gosling died .As Mo says I managed to save a sick gosling who was rejected by her mum.I force fed mushy chick crumb with a tiny flat plastic spatula every hour and drips of water with a syringe.I also put a soft toy in the box for the baby to cuddle up to.After 24 hrs it was well and went back to mum.Is the brooder near the incy as the cheeping from the one you have will encourage the unhatched one to break out. Good luck and so hope it survives .Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 5 years ago #
  6. chenry

No unfortunately the brooder and incubator are in seperate rooms.This is the first time I've done this,and that's not something I had thought of !
    He's up and about now,preening and drinking.will try hand feeding now.
    Still nothing from the other egg so I will move the incubator.
    Thanks for your help.

Posted 5 years ago #
  7. Mama

Oh that's good news ,sure it will be fine and hope the other one pips too .Learn't on here that it is best to leave in the incy 24hrs as it really does help the others out .A shame no one has come on that uses an incubator but you will know next time .Hopeing to hear good news on the last egg .:)) Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 5 years ago #
  8. chenry

The incubator is one of those basic polystyrene ones.I took him out as he was rolling the other egg around and I was worried about the water I had in there as well.
    He is doing well,eating from a spoon and drinking.He gets very noisy when I leave him.I'm thinking about checking in my area for some goslings the same age,as the other egg hasn't pipped still and it is now day 35!

Posted 5 years ago #
  9. dont give up yet Chenry, look at this comment ive copied from another site for you

The actual period of incubation of goose eggs varies slightly with the breed. Some eggs from the lighter breeds may start pipping after 28 days, while eggs from the larger breeds may take 35 days. It may take up to 3 days for hatching to be completed

glad this one is eating and drinking for you now x

mo x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  10. chenry

Thanks for that.Will leave it until the weekend.

Posted 5 years ago #
  11. Hi Chenry,
    I usually leave eggs in the incubator for about 7 days after their due date, just incase. Sorry to hear about the first gosling. Glad the second is doing ok.
    kind regards
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 5 years ago #
  12. chenry

Could wait no longer! Chipped the egg this morning,and it was just yolk and a black mass,possibly stopped developing about 2-3 days by the looks of it.Better for me than fully formed and stuck I must say.
    Unfortunately,I am now mum,brother, sister, cousin and best mate to my lonely gosling.I could find no goslings of a similar age in my area,so I was advised that ducklings would have to do.I bought 3 two week old muscovies,as they were a similar size.After the initial panic on introductions,I am now surplus to requirements.Quite a relief,but hurtful at the same time!!!! They seem to be getting along fine at the moment.
    Thank you everyone for your help.

Posted 5 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.