Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Quail

incubating quail

(11 posts)

1. jam

I have been incubating 25 japanese quail eggs for about 18 days now,the temperature has been set at about 37.5 degrees,will the eggs take longer to hatch being at this temperature,as im aware they should only take 17 days

Posted 5 years ago #
  2. Hi Jam,
    I have hatched japanese quail and they usually hatch around 17 or 18 days but sometimes the hatch can be delayed so I would wait. Can you see any signs of pipping or any movement or can you hear any chirping. you could try chirping at the incubator to see if you get a response. I have read that japanese quail will synchrise their hatch by chirping to each other in ther shells, not sure if theis is the case but I have seen lots hatch all at once which is great to see.
    Good luck with your hatch I would certainly keep the incubator going for up to a week incase the hatch is late.
    kind regards
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 5 years ago #
  3. jam

I was a bit unsure and opened 2 eggs this morning thinking they were no good but to my horror there were chicks inside there hearts were beating but obviously it was too late as i had opened them prematurely,thats why i asked wether the temperature was right,and wether that could alter the incubation period of seventeen days,i have incubated many chinese painted quail,but never any japanese so its a learning curb for me,my mistake was thinking the eggs were no good as they had been in the incubator past the 17 days,thanks

Posted 5 years ago #
  4. jam

one last thing i stopped turning the eggs at 15 days,should i start turning them again??

Posted 5 years ago #
  5. Hi Jam,
    sorry to hear about the two chicks. no you don't need to conintue turning them. Have you added water to the bottom tray of the incubator?
    Good luck.
    kind regards
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 5 years ago #
  6. jam

Yes i keep the water topped up,Thanks for the advice

Posted 5 years ago #
  7. Wolfyhybrid

Hi, 37.5C = 95.5F. I incubate my quail at 99.8 to 200F and takes 16 - 18 days. fractions to make a difference. If your tempature gauge is at the top of your incubator it will be a few (degrees F ) cooler at the egg level. Incubating at 37.5C may take a little longer so dont panic be patient and good luck.

Posted 5 years ago #
  8. jam

Hi the thermometer sticks out the top of the incubator so you can read it,the eggs have now been in 19 days and nothing as yet but as you said the temperature could make a difference.This is the first time ive incubated japanese quail so its a learning curb for me,ive incubated chinese quail many times before and never had any problems and they arrived on time,just keeping my fingers crossed now,thanks for your input

Posted 5 years ago #
  9. jam

Great news had 4 chicks hatch today and another one is pipping at the moment,would just like to thank all for the imformation you provided :-))))

Posted 5 years ago #
  10. Hi Jam, That's great news, let us know the final count and how they are progressing.
    Kind regards
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 5 years ago #
  11. Wolfyhybrid

Here they come! great news. on your next incubation it may be a good idea to turn up the heat settings just a little, try an extra 1C.
    Rob

Posted 5 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.