Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Hens

chick food

(7 posts)

Tags:

1. Mojo

Hi, i have 3 week old chicks can i give them maggots to eat? someone said i should give them to them. please reply.

Jo
    Posted 5 years ago #
  2. Mama

Yes you can and will help to make them tame as they will come to you at the gallop .Not to many though as they need to eat their chick crumb first and the maggots a bedtime treat .Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 5 years ago #
  3. Mojo

Cool, thanks mama, I'm off to the fishing tackle shop 2morrow. My chicks are already tame, they c me coming and chirp till I touch them :-))

Jo
    Posted 5 years ago #
  4. Mama

Put the maggots in fresh sawdust first to remove anything that may be harmefull to them or rinse in clear water .Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 5 years ago #
  5. duskhunter

Hope you don't mind my tagging a question here too about chick crumbs.

My ducklings are two weeks old now and with their mums and the rest of the ducks 20 in all. I find it impossible to ensure they all get the right feed. The mums eat the chick crumbs and the chicks the wheat I give to the mums. The 10 week old incy (incubator hatched) babies will leave their growers pellets to eat whatever they find from the other ducks and the dogs eat the lot!

In all seriousness I suppose I should only feed the mums chick crumbs and then the babies would have to eat the same but it seems a bit rough on the mums when they love the wheat.

Posted 5 years ago #
  6. Angela this is a problem many have had when they have small ducklings, im assuming they are all housed together now which does make it harder, if they were in seperate houses and pens you could control who eats what by only feeding them in their pens and not letting them out to free range until after they have eaten, the chick crumbs which of corse are important for the new ducklings are fine for mum for a few weeks but if you really feel bad for her you could try putting her feed higher up where the little ones can't reach it
    the older ducklings really need to be eating their growers for a long time yet so again unless you can control were they are fed im not sure what you can do,

mo x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  7. duskhunter

I have fed them apart as best as I can before I let them out but the single baby is in with her mum and two aunties who love the crumb food so they all get that until they have had enough and then get the grain.
    It is more of a problem in the evening when I have to get them in, as it is so difficult to get them all housed separately I let them in whichever house they come to and will go in first so they can chop and change each night and I sometimes have to use the food to get them to come in.

Posted 5 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.