Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Sheep

Sheep Practices In Times Gone By

(5 posts)

Tags:

1. Hi All,
    Was chatting to a friends aunty who's dad used to work on a farm years ago (1960's) She remembered them giving sheep eggs and a mixture but she couldn't remeber why this was. just wonderd if anyone knew?
    Kind regards
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 8 years ago #
  2. sallie

Don't know about sheep but I have used eggs and stout for a really run down horse in New Zealand. She was a 15 year old mare who really looked her age and yet 6 months later was competing in dressage competitions!

Was the sheep thing for body condition or illness?
    Best Wishes
    Sallie.

Posted 8 years ago #
  3. Hi Sallie,
    My husband thought the sheep were given eggs for protein to build them up before they had twins or triplets. He did get more technical but I was lost by it all!
    Hope you are well.
    Best Wishes
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 8 years ago #
  4. sallie

Hi Sara,
    Sounds like the same reason for giving eggs to horses, you do have to limit eggs though and I only give 1 egg a day for about a week then every other day then only once a week. Problem is that the horses, once they have the taste for Guiness, don't like their food without booze!!!

I assume eggs are used in sheep to avoid the dreaded problems of twin lamb disease.
    Hope all well with you.
    Best wishes
    Sallie.

Posted 8 years ago #
  5. Hi Sallie,
    You are right about twin lamb disease whcih is a metabolic illness. My husband says that the egg gives them energy from a none carbohydrate source.
    I am well thanks but quail have mycoplasma (congunctivitis).
    Best Wishes
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 8 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.