Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Hens

Sexing chicks

(17 posts)

Tags:

1. Mojo

Hi can anybody tell me how to sex my 3week old chicks please.

Jo
    Posted 4 years ago #
  2. duskhunter

Hi,
    I read your post earlier but was waiting for someone more qualified to comment. However, no-one has so I thought I would let you know what I discovered after asking the same questions recently.

The least invasive way is to look above the ducklings beak where it joins the skull to see if the shape it takes looks like a V or a U If you are lucky and they stay still long enough you may find some of them are quite distinctive V's for the drakes or U's for the girls. There will be a few don't knows we found they were likely to be boys. By the time they were 8 weeks they were quacking to show they were girls and the boys had quite dulcet tones.

Metzer farm have a website with a video on how to vent sex tiny ducklings but it is not easy and can be distressful for the duckling and sometimes a real job to find the little vent. I did manage three of 11 this way but really wouldn't bother with this way again as the beak shape was a really very good indicator.

Good luck, Angela

Posted 4 years ago #
  3. Mama

Hi Jo ,I did comment but seems i didn't press post,are they a true breed as some are auto sexed with colouring .Vent sexing is difficult and best done on day olds as you can damage them in trying .Can you post pics as sometimes can tell by the combs with chicks as opposed to ducklings .Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 4 years ago #
  4. Mojo

Thanks Angela, but I hav chickens not ducks, lol.
    I'm new to this forum, how can I put pics on here mama?

Jo
    Posted 4 years ago #
  5. Mama

Sara admin or Mo can explain and Mo is on early in the morning .Sorry I can't expalain it not to good myself .Look forward to seeing the pics .Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 4 years ago #
  6. Hi Jo, Sara needs to send you the code to add photos but I may be able to help you to add them here or you can add them to the farming friends page on facebook if you use facebook then we will see them
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/44523236595/
    to add them here you have to first have them loaded to a sharing sight such as facebook then open the properties and copy the URL address it will look something like this then come here and past the link and I might be able to open it for you or members may be able to click on it to see the photos
    http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/600335_2146238112226_19448189_n.jpgis
    it sounds confusing but you will get the hang of it x

mo x
    Posted 4 years ago #
  7. duskhunter

I realised my mistake Jo when I saw Mama's post - you can tell I have a one track mind lol!

Posted 4 years ago #
  8. Mojo

thanks mo, ive just joined the group so im just waiting to b accepted on the group. will put some pics on there. my name is joanne knapman was rogers. hope u can tell me what they r!!

Jo
    Posted 4 years ago #
  9. Mojo

Angela, i know wat u mean, all i can think of is my chicks, im new to all this. I started the hard way straight from scratch with eggs.. they are so adictive little things ;-)

Jo
    Posted 4 years ago #
  10. sorry Jo I thought it was an open group sure Sara will add you soon and sorry no i only have ducks but sure Mama (Patricia) or Sara her self will when they see them

mo x
    Posted 4 years ago #
  11. Mama

Jo you should be able to post on Farming friends group as it is public on FB Not sure what's happening with that .It is an open group so no idea why you are having to waiting .Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 4 years ago #
  12. Mojo

That's ok, no problem, still waiting, will look again 2moz then I will post some pics on there. My chicks are gorgeous, well I think so as I'm all new to this chicken thing. Lol

Jo
    Posted 4 years ago #
  13. Mama

Jo any memeber can add you too the group,have looked but need your fb name .Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 4 years ago #
  14. Mojo

My fb name is Joanne Knapman was Rogers.
    My profile pic is me jumping my horse.
    Thanks mama

Jo
    Posted 4 years ago #
  15. Sorry Mama isn't quiet right there we can only add people we are already friends with, I will send you a friend request Jo my name is maureen mellor

mo x
    Posted 4 years ago #
  16. Mojo

Thanks mo, I've accepted ur request. Will take some pics of my chicks now to put on the farming friends group. Thanks mo. x

Jo
    Posted 4 years ago #
  17. Hi Jo,

I found this on my main website that I had written some time ago. I have never had hens from chicks so not had to sex them.

"It isn’t very easy to identify the gender of young chicks but there are a number of ways to do so.
    Cloacal, or vent sexing is one method although this method is not easy to do without proper training and experience. This method involves examining the baby chicken’s vent, located under its tail, looking for a genital organ. If the genital organ is present in the vent, it will resemble a small pimple and the chicken is a cockerel/rooster.
    Length of feathers and colour of feathers is also a way of sexing chicks in certain breeds. By looking at the feathers in hens, the primary and secondary feathers are noticeably different in size but cockerels/roosters have uniform-sized feathers.
    Commercial chicks have been bred so that their gender can be identified by the colour of their feathers – Hens are typically white and cockerels/roosters are a dusty brown."
    Hope this can help you.
    Best Wishes
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 4 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.