Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Ducks

Ducks and Snow

(46 posts)
  • Started 9 years ago by admin
  • Latest reply from vernonpurcell

1. Hi All,
    Just wondered if ducks are ok in the snow. Does the snow affect their feet or would one day running about in the snow be ok. My ducks have never been out in the snow and just wanted to check it wouldn't damage their feet.
    Kind regards
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 9 years ago #
  2. campbell ridge
    Administrator

Not too sure, i think we may well have to wait and see. Mine have been rather inactive, but still insist on being out in it.
    Regards.
    Sarah

Sarah L
    Posted 9 years ago #
  3. Hi Sarah,
    I didn't get my ducks out today as I didn't want to risk any of the guinea fowl getting out as my guinea fowl really don't like snow. Hope your ducks are ok. Mine kept standing in front of the inner wire door and chattering as if they wanted to come out!
    Kind regards
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 9 years ago #
  4. quax

Hello
    we haven't had snow yet, just hard ground and frost and frozen water, but ours have been pottering about as usual. I was a bit worried in the night cos it's sooooo cold out there. I've put extra straw in today and and piled it up a bit around the sides of the hut to keep out the draughts. I assume with all their feathers they must be OK, ducks in the wild must cope. Will let you know if we get snow.
    Rachel

Rachel
    Posted 9 years ago #
  5. campbell ridge
    Administrator

They are all out in it today again. Although much preferring to stay near the pen, and as it was extra cold, the adults decided they would join the youngsters in the shed last night!
    However I have just this minute ushered them out of the pen and they are now enjoying a dip in the sunshine amongst the 1 inch ice floaters in the blue pool! I haven't given them fresh defrosted water, just broken it up and they seem remarkably happy.
    Regards,
    Sarah

Sarah L
    Posted 9 years ago #
  6. Hi Sarah & Rachel,
    Well my ducks snook out of the poultry hut this morning whilst my back was turned way from the door. The ground is still covered in snow. The ducks seemed to stay closer to the farmyard than they would normally. I noticed some of the ducks even sitting down in the snow so it can't have bothered them too much.
    The ducks were chatty when they noticed that all the water containers and ponds outside were frozen. I gave them a big bucket of fresh water to drink from whilst they were outside.
    The guinea fowl didn't really want to go out and nither did the hens!
    Hope all is well with your ducks.
    Best Wishes
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 8 years ago #
  7. quax

Well, we've had the snow now, it fell all day Saturday and now is just very crispy, cold and icy, I've put down more straw around their hut on the slabs as it was covered in ice and they were slipping everywhere. My son is quite happy to break all the ice and I bring warm water out for them for drinking, they love it, it looks funny, all the steam coming up whilst they drink and dip their feet. A bit like a steam room! I will try and get a picture of them.
    Rachel

Rachel
    Posted 8 years ago #
  8. sharon

Hi also worried about my ducks, last year we had some very freezy nights and temp went down to -5 to -15 on one occaision! I stacked up straw as an extra wall inside hut, but in the morning they could not walk this happened twice last year! This year so far they have walked except in high snow (i had to carry them) up towards the house under the windowsill where I guess the house warmth is. I have put straw on our porch, which they igored until today when they slept and froze in it! I have been supplementing their mixed corn with pasta! They love it and high carb good in this weather I think? Here in Kent it is just starting to thaw for the first time in 5 days but I think the nights will remain v cold I don't think they like it much! They were pleased to see a bit of grass reappear today! Merry, Merry to all and keep those ducks warm! S.

Posted 8 years ago #
  9. Hi Rachel and everyone,
    I imagine it was a great sight to see the ducks having a steam bath! My ducks have been enjoying running about on the snow, although they don't seem to range as far as normally.
    Went out this afternoon and when came back it was just abit past their normal going in time and they were already sitting at the door of the hut waiting to go in - well trained eh?!

Wishing you a merry Christmas and a happy new year.
    Best Wishes
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 8 years ago #
  10. Christinao

Ah bless! Mine seem fine in the snow as well. They wouldn't come out of their house for ages, the first day it snowed, just kept sticking their bills out to have a look. The big pond is frozen over so today we let them out in the main garden to have a potter about and they loved it, obviously finding lots of bugs and stuff to eat now the snow is thawing. And .... we've had our first eggs! One a day so far for the last four days. I don't know which one of the girls is laying, or whether it's both of them on alternate days. It was such a big thrill to get the first egg though. Today, we had 3 scrambled with smoked salmon on toast for brekkie, yum.

Happy New Year to all!

Best wishes,
    Christina x

Posted 8 years ago #
  11. Hi Christina,
    Glad to hear that your ducks are ok in the snow. Hope you had a great Christmas.
    Wonderful to hear that you are now getting eggs. I am having problems with my hens eating the duck eggs by pecking the shells every morning. Need tips to stop this!
    Scrambled eggs with smoked salmon sounds lovely!
    I use 2 duck eggs to make lovely blueberry muffins or chocolate chip muffins - will have to share the recipe!
    Happy new year to you too.
    Best Wishes
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 8 years ago #
  12. Christinao

Hi Sara,

We're really ramping up production today, 2 eggs this morning! I'm so pleased because it means Squiffy, with her wonky little neck, obviously has all other working parts to enable her to lay. I'd love the recipes for the muffins, they sound delicious and if we are lucky enough to get 2 eggs a day from now on, I'll need to get cooking to use them up!

Also, I had a brilliant idea yesterday as the pond has frozen over in their enclosure and they have eaten every bit of greenery in there, they were looking pretty bored just wandering around on the mud all day. I'm a bit worried about Meg the dog, who is still absolutely obsessed with them, trying to have a go at them and I also put plant food pellets down around the garden last year, so didn't want to leave them loose on their own, so..... I bought 6 metal sheep hurdles, clipped them all together and they now have a safe run, on the grass, which can be easily moved around the garden. It's been so good to see them munching on the green stuff again and they seem really happy. Thought I might even put a big plant tray of warm water in there for them to have a dabble as they haven't been able to go in the pond for weeks!

Best wishes
    Christina

Posted 8 years ago #
  13. campbell ridge
    Administrator

I recommend the warm water! Mine are getting a washing up bowl of warm every morning and they enjoy a warming drink, then take it in turns to bathe in it!
    Good idea re the sheep hurdles.
    Sarah

Sarah L
    Posted 8 years ago #
  14. quax

Hi all
    My ducks were really pleased last week when the rain took away the snow, but it has come back, so they're looking fed up again (and scruffy as they don't go in the pond which is practically frozen over), so today I took out 8 buckets full of warm water and filled up their drinkers and their big drinker (which is more like a bath for them). They really love the warm water. I believe we are getting more snow next week, so I guess it'll be more buckets as the hose pipe has frozen up.
    Good news on the egg front Christina, its great when they start laying, we seem to get 4 most days still with the odd 3er day. I've been selling them to colleagues at work and giving them to family, everybody seems very pleased!
    Happy New Year to you all
    Rachel

Rachel
    Posted 8 years ago #
  15. Hi All,

Rachel sent me some lovely photos of her ducks and Alfie the cat enjoying the snow!

"Hi Sara
    As I couldn't get to work today, I've managed to get some pictures of our ducks in the snow, also one of Alfie who was intrigued by all the white stuff and is now lying infront of the wood burner!
    I think the ducks will be glad when some of the green stuff re-appears and they can do some proper foraging!
    Happy snow day!
    Rachel"

Love the photo of Alfie investigaing the snow and your ducks look like the are enjoying the snow! I think the photo of them all in a line is accompanied by the tune "Hi, Ho, Hi Ho it's off to investigate the snow!"

Thanks for sharing these photos.
    Best Wishes
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 8 years ago #
  16. JackandVera

Hi all. Don't know about you but we (including Jack and Vera) are really fed up with the snow and the cold weather. They have a paddling pool now as the big pond is frozen but just have a quick wash off in the morning. They don't like it at all and were hiding by the wall close to the house but this morning they decided that indoors was better, so they have joined us in the lounge !! They seem quite happy by the patio doors and even when we open the doors for them to go out they just walk away and are not interested in going back out at all !
    Does anyone have any ideas on greenery for them ? I have tried with shredded lettuce and cabbage and grated courgettes but they don't like them.
    Lovely to see the photos of the other snow ducks. They all look so cute.
    Hope everyone is taking care in the snow and ice.
    Regards, Jean

Posted 8 years ago #
  17. JackandVera

Hi Sara. Sorry to sound a dope but how do I attach photos to my message. I want to send some of Jack and Vera and can't seem to do it !!

Posted 8 years ago #
  18. Hi Jean,

Thanks for sending the photos of your duck and drake Vera and Jack, they are lovely and seem to be quite well house trained.

Thanks for sharing your photos.

Best Wishes
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 8 years ago #
  19. campbell ridge
    Administrator

How lovely! If my ducks came in there would be poop all over the place!

Sarah L
    Posted 8 years ago #
  20. quax

Jack and Vera look gorgeous and very content, I think our ducks would love a warm house with a nice big window to look out of. Although ours wouldn't come in anyway unless we moved out. They are not very happy with the pond being frozen over, and so I'm taking out buckets of warm water every day for them to paddle/drink in which they love and extra straw at night. The lawn is now ice! I'll be glad when the grass comes back and I think our ducks will be too!
    Rachel

Rachel
    Posted 8 years ago #
  21. Hi All,

Sarah (campbell ridge) has sent me some photos of her ducks in the snow and the run that had snow on it's roof and no snow inside.

Hi Sara, I have attached a couple of photos for your ducks and snow page.
    at the weekend my husband cleared the ground in their pen and we then stapled some green mesh netting over the top of the wire netting frames and it has worked. The latest snowfall last night has settled on the top and their ground underneath is snow free. They can still come out and wander but they retire in there for a nap and a forage on the clear ground.
    Regards,
    Sarah

Sarah, what a great idea adding the green mesh netting to the top of the run. This would be a great idea for anyone who has guinea fowl as I have found that guinea fowl do not like to stand on snow.

Your ducks are lovely looking.
    Thanks for sharing your photos.
    Kind regards
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 8 years ago #
  22. Hi All,
    Lisa (westcomfort) has sent some photos of her lovely ducks enjoying the snow.

Good to see them unphased by the snow. Which duck is Dora?

Thanks for sharing.
    Best Wishes
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 8 years ago #
  23. well have really enjoyed reading all this and feel ready for anything now, even maybe looking forward to some snow maybe, don't think the ducks will be coming indoor but loved the photo of Jack and Vera, looking through the window x
    and im armed with lots of good tips too
    Mo

mo x
    Posted 8 years ago #
  24. queenie

Hi all, My little call ducks didn't seem to mind the snow last year, and loved to swim amongst the broken ice on the pond. however calls have quite short legs so we cleared their usual tracks to the pond, hut ,kitchen door etc with the snow shovel.But in case any newbies don't know salt doesn't do Ducks feet any good so thats a no no.
    Liz

Posted 8 years ago #
  25. Lorna

Hi Liz

That is true about the call ducks they are very tough.
    If there is snow this year I will have to put my oldest ones in a bit more, this year they are slower and not going about as much.

Regards
    Lorna

Posted 8 years ago #
  26. SCarruth

I have really enjoyed reading through all of these stories from last winter...I am a bit nervous about our girls and their first winter! Hubby is going to build a corral for the girls in our basement 'just in case' it gets too cold for them I will just bring them into the basement (that is where they started out) and we have a wood stove down there to warm up the house with and them. Also, we have the infrared light for them too. ;)

Posted 8 years ago #
  27. Little Hen House

Morning all I am a Newbie to Farming Friends but here is what I do here in British Columbia,Canada. We have just had our first dump of snow and freezing temps last few nights down to -8/-10 daytime only hitting -4....very cold.Yesterday with the wind chill -18 brrrrr. My ducks have been fine. Somethings I have found work well during the winter here are... I put a heat lamp on in there duck house at night. They have access to go in or out during the day. I feed cracked corn each morning along with there regular feed. I have a mid size kiddie pool that I have a float heater in so it doesn't freeze.....my ducks love a morning swim in the unfrozen water. I also have a float heater in a small pool for the chickens. The float heaters work very well and everyone has unfrozen water all the time! I find as long as all my animals have in and out access during the cold and snow they do just fine.

Posted 8 years ago #
  28. Mama

Hello , Well the float heater is very interesting and am sure other members will think so to. I have never heard of them but googled it , brilliant . Cannot imagine that much cold just yet and hope not to do so. what ducks and chooks do you have . Regards Mama.

Goose Girl
    Posted 8 years ago #
  29. Little Hen House

Where to start.......ducks I have..a family (6) of each of the following....cayuga, runners, khaki campbells, rouen, buff, crested, pekin. 60 or so chickens I have Rhode Island Red, Brahmas, Buff Orphington and few assorted Bantams. I have 2 horses and 2 ponies. Hope the float heaters help others they are best thing for winter!! As I type this it is 4pm our time and -8.......brrrrrr colder tommorrow and more snow Thursday!! only Nov this is very early for us!!

Posted 8 years ago #
  30. hello, I have used the float heater in my fish pond before and it did keep part of the water un frozen, I don't think it would work in my duck pond as the surface area is to large for one but i'm hopeing the movement from my pump will be enough, if it gets to bad here i may like you put one in a paddeling pool and close of the pond
    the heat lamp you use, is it the kind we put over ducklings

mo x
    Posted 8 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.