Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Hens

poorly black silkie

(10 posts)

1. dollydylo

Good morning all

Our black silkie has been unwell the past week. Started with her sleeping all the time and keeping away from the other girls. she then had little interest in food or drink. Then a few bubbles in her eyes. She is separated and I have tried her favourite foods. She bends like she wants to eat and then seems to give up. I dipped her beak in water yesterday and have been giving baytril for two days. she ate a bit of chopped sweetcorn yesterday. No egg laying for a few days but doesn't seem egg bound. Any ideas?

Karen x
    Posted 4 years ago #
  2. this gives a useful list of illnesses Karen, hope she gets better soon
    http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/common-chicken-illnesses-and-treatments.html

mo x
    Posted 4 years ago #
  3. dollydylo

Hi Mo

thanks for the link - nothing the same in it unfortunately, but one to keep for any future problems.
    We had originally thought our silkie was in shock (found out later the neighbours dog had got loose again), but the bubbles in the eyes a couple of days later confused me.

Have given her baytril for 3 days now. She has barely eaten and only had water when I have dipped her beak in. Until today that is.. she has been drinking lots more than previously, and on her own which is great. Still not eating but seems to have more energy and is trying to get back out with the others. Maybe I can tempt her with some warm porridge for breakfast tomorrow!

thanks

Karen x
    Posted 4 years ago #
  4. Mama

That's sound good news Karen ,I couldn't help as never had bubbly eyes .Hope she will be ok .Mama x

Goose Girl
    Posted 4 years ago #
  5. dollydylo

Morning

Silkie still isn't 'right' but she ate some porridge yesterday. First time I have seen her eating in days. We tried her with some layers pellets later on and no interest at all. Will give her some more porridge soon keep all crossed!

Still no eggs

xx

Karen x
    Posted 4 years ago #
  6. aww everything crossed Karen, what a worry for you, i did a bit of googleing and this word kept coming up maybe worth talking to your vets to see if they can do a blood test for you
    http://poultrykeeper.com/respiratory-problems/mycoplasma

mo x
    Posted 4 years ago #
  7. Mama

So glad she is perking up with your tlc and fingers crossed she will be beter soon Karen .:) Mama x

Goose Girl
    Posted 4 years ago #
  8. dollydylo

Evening ladies!

Well my silkie seems to be a bit better. Eating a bit more and with more enthusiasm, but still no interest in layers pellets. Only touching a little porridge, and now sweetcorn whole instead of chopped. She is also drinking without me having to give her baytril first (think she was trying to take the taste away!).

No eggs but she does seem chirpier...she even clucked at me today (think she was telling me off for not letting her out with the others)

Karen x
    Posted 4 years ago #
  9. Mama

Oh Karen sounds better than it did ,lol clucked is a good sign and so hope she carrys on being well .Mama x

Goose Girl
    Posted 4 years ago #
  10. thats sounding good Karen, did you see my link above about Mycoplasma it does sugest getting a blood test done if your vet is good x

mo x
    Posted 4 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.