Farming Friends Forum » Ducks

HELP TIPS AND HELPFUL HINTS NEEDED ASAP

(12 posts)
  • Started 9 years ago by anna31
  • Latest reply from campbell ridge

Tags:

1. anna31

Hello

I have a Forced Air fan assisted Incubator I have 6 six duck eggs that are due to hatch on Friday 1/1/10 I have just candled them are they are not moving does this mean they have died? Also how can I measure the humidity? I have a small plastic container that the manufactory instruction say will be adequate to hatch ducklings but after reading loads of different advice on web sites I have placed a wet cloth and put the eggs on an old tea towel is this right? I have used this incubator before with chicken eggs but unfortunately none of them hatch and I was heartbroken when we opened the egg the chick was fully developed but it never piped. I don’t want this happening again I have them temp 35C as I read that this is what the temp should be after day 25

Please any tips or hints will be much appreciated

Cheers
    Anna

Posted 9 years ago #
  2. Hi Anna,

Welcome to the farmingfriends forum. I have never candled my eggs so cannot speak from experience. Here is a resource about candling with photos which may be of use. http://lancaster.unl.edu/4H/embryology/candlingphotos.shtml
    You can measure humidity using a wet bulb thermometer or a hygrometer. You can make a wet bulb thermometer using a thermometer check out this link http://farmingfriends.com/a-wet-bulb-thermometer/
    I know in my hovabator incubator the recommended temperature in the incubator for duck eggs is 99.5 degrees fahrenheit and the humidity level (wet bulb thermometer) for duck eggs is 84-88 degrees fahrenheit.
    A friend always recommends spraying the duck eggs lightly in water in the last few days. I have read that it is best to add warm water to the incubator so that the temperature doesn't go down as it would if you added cold water. spraying the eggs mimicks the effect of the duck getting off the eggs in the early morning and then getting back on with wet feathers after a swim or being on the dewy grass. Her feathers would coat the eggs in water.
    Good luck with the hatch and let me know how you get on. What type of duck eggs are they?
    Kind regards
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 9 years ago #
  3. Hi Anna,

Back again! I posted your question on my farmingfriends facebook page http://www.facebook.com/pages/York/Farming-Friends/165905205668 and one of the members John had this to say,

"if it looks black they may be dead in the egg . they will move . if dont . then there dead . looks like a blob....a good tip i found is candle at 10 days . then candle a few more days on . and so on . then u get to know whats going on in the egg . then u can tell if the egg is ok or going rotten . ok.....duck eggs tend to be wetter in humidity , then chickens and quail."

Hope that helps Anna,

Good luck with the hatch.

Kind regards
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 9 years ago #
  4. anna31

Hi Sara,

Thank you for all your advice it has been very helpful. They are white and khaki Campbell ducks. It is hatch day today and still not a peep has come from the eggs :-( I think they have passed away I'm so disappointed and heart broken I have followed all the advice. I have been told to give the eggs another week in the incubator which I will do but I have candled them again and still no movement. Will give the ducks another week in the incubator fingers crossed my little ducklings will hatch

Thanks for all your advice and help

Happy New Year

Anna

Posted 9 years ago #
  5. hazlia

Hi Anna

I have done a few duck eggs in a Brinsea Octagon Advance which is forced air and auto rock, I have also used a tea towel or flannel underneath but you need to be careful it dees not dry out and suck the moisture from the eggs. I have got some in now and so far only one hatched from 3 that pipped. The other two died - not sure why but I was away for a couple of days and missed the event. The remaining 15 have not started but may be Muscovy (33-35 days), some are definitely rotten as there is a bad smell. I have a bad feeling that I am only going to get the one this time round. Last time I got 17 from 20 - I sprayed them daily after 3 weeks. I have got 5 ducks sitting on 4 nests back at the farm (two on one nest!). The ducks I have are not usually broody except the Muscovy so I will be interested to see how many hatch. It is so disppointing when it all goes wrong especially having waited a month.

I hope you get a positive result.

regards

Mike

Michael O'Riordan
    Posted 9 years ago #
  6. Hi Anna & Mike,

When I hatched my duck eggs they hatched early. Infact they started to hatch before I got the egg turner out so they were 3 days early.

This advice was sent from South yeo Farm via twitter http://twitter.com/southyeofarm "hatching ducklings full of hazards, wonderful when it works. Advice sheet here: http://www.southyeofarmwest.co.uk/links.html "

Hope the duck eggs hatch Anna.
    Mike I hope that those in the incubator hatch well like last time and it will be interesting to see if your broody ducks go full term sitting on the nests!

Let me know how you get on.

Kind regards
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 9 years ago #
  7. anna31

Hi Sara & Mike,

Thanks for the advice and helpful links lots of bed time reading! Ducklings still haven't hatched but and eggs are turning a blotchy colour but I'm still hopeful they will hatch soon.

Hope you have a successful hatch Mike and thanks again for you advice. Let me know how it goes

Cheers

Anna

Posted 9 years ago #
  8. campbell ridge
    Administrator

Hi Anna,
    My 2 white campbells went broody this year and fortunately for me, hatched their own - they also shared the nest. Dad even joined them in their vigil!
    Out of a nest of 11, they discarded most of the duff ones themselves, leaving the 5 viable ones and just one in the nest which turned blotchy and smelled nasty. I removed it before the hatch and when we opened it, it was rotten.
    You don't need to candle. If you pick them up after 24 days you can hear cheeping and feel movement if they are viable. If they smell at all, or change colour, then they are gone I'm afraid.
    Regards,
    Sarah L

Sarah L
    Posted 9 years ago #
  9. hazlia

Hi Sara/Anna

Sadly, it is just the one duckling this time. 2 died trying to get out and the others all started to leak one by one - awful smell to and change colour - I did suspect as much. This particular batch were collected by my friends mother - so not sure of how or how long they were stored. Usually I collect them myself and gather eggs on a Fri, Sat and Sun and put them in on a Sun night. I have no idea which type they are (Mallard, Cambell (Khaki or white) or Muscovy as they get deposited all over the place inside their shed. They either hatch on day 28 or 35 on the numbers. The last succssful batch had 5 Muscovy - most black pie bald which are now around 6 weeks old. I am wondering if they might be a cross as I have heard that Muscovy can interbreed but offspring not fertile (like a Mule). They look Muscovy but the beaks are not developing the usual red growth. As long as they lay eggs they will be ok otherwise they could be for the pot!

It is such a great event when the eggs hatch that when they don't it becomes an even biger disappointment!

The broody mums (Mallard cross think) should have some ducklings this weekend and one of the Muscovy girls has just started to sit - after 2 weeks of laying one a day (and I think one of the others may have a left and egg or two as well!)

Best wishes

Mike

Michael O'Riordan
    Posted 9 years ago #
  10. anna31

Hi Mike/Sara

Still know sign of my duckling hatching I have candled them and there is definitely something in there but it isn't moving they are now 3 days over their hatch date. Funny enough though they don't smell or are leaking. What would be your advice? Keep them in the incubator and hope for the best or discard the eggs?

Sorry to hear about your ducklings Mike. I have my fingers crossed for you for the weekends hatch.

Cheers

Anna

Posted 9 years ago #
  11. campbell ridge
    Administrator

Anna,
    I would put the egg to your ear and listen. If they are alive they will cheep and tap - if they are weak because they haven't hatched, it will be quiet but the sounds will be there...... You can also feel the egg moving..............
    If there is nothing - and only If you are sure of your number of days, then gently scratch a hole in one end (as if it were pipping itself - and have a look in one. What you can see by candling is the embryo, which may have started off ok, but has died in the shell. I would imagine the humidity wasn't quite right as I understand from others that when incubating duck eggs they need critical moisture levels.
    Regards,
    Sarah L

Sarah L
    Posted 9 years ago #
  12. campbell ridge
    Administrator

What was the outcome of your hatch Anna?
    Sarah L

Sarah L
    Posted 9 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.