Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Pets Corner

rabbits not breeding

(7 posts)

1. CHRIS

hi i have 2 female rabbits and 2 male rabbits together in a big cage, 7x8x4h just had to separate 1 of the males because they keep fighting, but ive had these rabbits since the summer time and ive had no luck with breeding what am i doing wrong, the one female has had a litter before just wondering if anyone can give me some info thanks
    Chris

Posted 9 years ago #
  2. Jeni

Hi, I've bred rabbits for a few years and believe me it's not as simple as you think! Are you sure of the sexes? Might be worth a double check. I would separate the males and females firstly,then after a while put the chosen female in with the male, they should show interset and mate immediately, let them do this about 3 times. Take out female and then try her about a week later, if she has taken she won't want to know. This is the worst time of year to try and mate- though it's not impossible. Some does just never "take". Your rabbits may just have become good friends and abscence may make the heart grow fonder! I do have some other tricks to help so let me know if this doesn't work, Jeni

Posted 9 years ago #
  3. CHRIS

ok thanks, im sure of the sexes, so ur saying that the males have to be in their own separate area away from the females, the 2 males are fighting so i took the one that was getting picked on out, at first it was the other way around he was do the bullying but i guess the other is alittle older and a little bigger now so its not taking it anymore, always chases it back into the hutch bites and stuff, dont think it was even letting it eat so i felt bad and moved him

Posted 9 years ago #
  4. Hi Chris,
    As far as I know it is best to separate male rabbits. I have read that once they reach sexual maturity which I believe is about of 3-4 months depending on the breed then naughty behaviors come in to play such as mounting, cage aggression. It is not recommended to house two males, as they become very territorial once they reach sexual maturity. They will fight, sometimes causing severe injury to one another.

I have also read that does do have times when they are more likely to accept a buck’s advances. Look for signs of the doe acting restless, rubbing her chin on the feeder and water bottle nipples.

Apparently you should always take the doe to the buck’s cage for breeding.

Hope you get things sorted with your rabbits.
    Kind regards
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 9 years ago #
  5. budo1

If you are still having trouble please give me a shout. I'm new here but have been keeping rabbits for many years.

Posted 8 years ago #
  6. wobbleyduck

hiya, i'm a vet nurse and the advise we give to people, of which we have found successful, is when keeping 2 rabbits of the same sex together and they fight, is to neuter the submissive rabbit and let the dominant one be dominant, they soon work out the pecking order and live in harmony, thus keeping the males away from the females except for mating time (which is also good advise) downside is you will only have one breeding male so you must make sure he's good for the job first!

Posted 8 years ago #
  7. Mama

Another vet nurse , Great we need you here for info and help. We have Sallie also who has been our saviour
    Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 8 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.