Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Pigs

Pig Breeding????

(4 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by JenniferJordan
  • Latest reply from admin

1. Anonymous
    Unregistered

Hi everyone, new to the forum. I live in Texas, USA and we are trying to raise Hampshire/Yorkshire Pigs. Currently we have one of each and plan to breed them together. They live in the same pen, large, and share the same house. Will this arrangement be okay for breeding and farrowing??? Do i have to seperate??? They are just now breeding age. Thanks for any info.

Posted 4 years ago #
  2. Mama

Hi Jennifer welcome ,Sara admin will be able to advise when she comes on .A lovely breed but know nothing about pig keeping .Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 4 years ago #
  3. Hi Jennifer,
    We have raised pigs (saddlebacks, gloucester old spot and tamworth) but have yet to breed them but to my knowledge it's best to remove the boar before the sow gives birth and she should remain separated while farrowing. Piglets, or banabhs as we call them are an amazing experience!! I'm looking forward to the day when we can breed our own and I will probably be looking for your professional advice at that stage:) Hope all goes well!!

Sinéad

Newbie xo
    Posted 4 years ago #
  4. Hi jennifer,
    As Sinead says it is best to remove the boar before the sow farrows. I have kept saddlebacks and raised piglets, we had 2 sows and hired a boar for a couple of weeks so didn't have the problem of having to separate.
    Good luck with the breeding.
    kind regards
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 4 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.