Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Pets Corner

Ferret keeping

(7 posts)
  • Started 9 years ago by Linzie1989
  • Latest reply from sallie

1. Linzie1989

hi all
    my boyfriend has 4 ferrets; 3 females and a male. The females get on great with me except when in house one will come and try to bite my legs. The male actually lunges at me. I cant pick him up at all with out him trying to bite me. None of them go for any one else. Is there anything i can do to try and change the behaviour?

Lynn
    xXx

Posted 9 years ago #
  2. sallie

Hi Lynn,

If you present your hand shaped into a fist to the ferret knuckles first they cannot latch on and this allows you to use the other hand, finger only, to tap them on the nose when they try to bite. You may find the male a bit more dominant to you as you are female and he will try to intimidate you. Just stay calm and repel his attacks using the method above. I had one ferret who was a psycho and would be lovely for ages then suddenly go for me, I finally accepted defeat after being bitten eight times in as many seconds. She had to be dispatched as she was dangerous and unpredictable. Yours sound as if they are just a bit dominant with you. If you are worried about being bitten wear thick gloves. Just keep presenting the hand and then tapping on the nose if they try to bite. They will eventually accept you are dominant and give up!

Hope this helps

Sallie.

Posted 9 years ago #
  3. Linzie1989

just discovered that one of the females is actually a male. we were told when we bought her he was definitly a she. o well now have two males and a female.

Lynn

xXx

Posted 9 years ago #
  4. Hi Lynn,
    Will two males get on with only one female? Hope they don't fight.

Hi sallie,
    Thanks for all your useful advice about ferret handling - I don't have ferrets and have only ever held one once!

Kind regards
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 9 years ago #
  5. Linzie1989

Sara
    im not sure the males have always been seperate the "new" has always been with the two other females
    he was 10 months old when we got him about october i think

Lynn
    xXx

Posted 9 years ago #
  6. Hi Lynn,

It will be interesting to see how they react to each other, at what age do they start breeding? It might be then theat the males want to be the most dominant.

How is the nose tapping that sallie suggested going, has it made a difference?

Kind regards
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 9 years ago #
  7. sallie

Hi Lynn,

Just a word of warning, if you don't allow the female to breed she will be prone to pyometra and a weird anaemia thing they get. I always had my female injected with Delvesterone early Spring to take her out of season. Female ferrets come into season and don't go off until mated so they can get very ill. If you have two males it may be worth getting one castrated and having the other one vasectomised as this will allow him to mate with the female and then she will go out of season. Oddly it is not the getting pregnant that sends the females out but the mating process. The castration of one male will also mean that the three are more likely to get on as the vasectomised male will not regard him as a threat.
    Hope this helps.

Sallie.

Posted 9 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.