Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Hens

Placing eggs under a broody hen ?

(17 posts)

1. Wolfyhybrid

A quick story of what has happened to lead me to ask this question. As you all know I had to rehome my original rooster, six months later I purchased another rooster and 2 hens, however I have now sold him and his hens again leaving me with my original hens, Cream crested legbars, Before my last rooster left he gave me 7 fertile eggs which I placed in the incubator. The eggs are due to hatch in about a week, but I now have a hen thats gone broody up in her coop but she is only sitting on 2 eggs and one of those is plastic! What I want to do is take the 7 eggs from the incubator and place them under her and remove the un-fertile and plastic egg but how do I do this without disturbing her and having her reject the eggs. dose anyone think this would be a good idea in the way that I do as it would save me all the effert of brooding and raising these chicks. How should I go about getting these eggs under her.

Posted 4 years ago #
  2. if it were me i'd perhaps pop just a couple under her but not until nearer the time of hatch just incase she decides she isnt broody after all then if she stays and they begin to hatch perhaps put the rest there, if she is friendly enough you shouldnt have a problem doing it, if you think its going to be a problem dont do it at all

mo x
    Posted 4 years ago #
  3. Wolfyhybrid

Good point Mo, I do still have a few days before i need to place them. Cream crested legbars are very timid hens and never come to close to me although i have had them since they were six weeks old and they are now over a year.

Posted 4 years ago #
  4. Mama

Hi Rob,If she is really serious leave what you have already in the nest and swap after dark when you are ready.Have done it many times and always was a success.Have also done it during the day when the hens were off the nest ,that worked too but my hens weren't as timid as yours .Something else I have done too,is put day olds under a broody . Good luck keep us informed and look forward to pics of happy chicks .Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 4 years ago #
  5. Wolfyhybrid

I like the idea of placing them at night. I will give her 2 or 3 more days to see if she is still sitting then place them. Quick note on why I have Cream crested legbar chickens, although they are known to be shy and timid around their keepers, they never sit on your lap or take food from your hand, but the reason I have them is that you can tell a rooster from a hen by their colour on the day they hatch. So no need to rear unwanted roosters.
    Rob

Posted 4 years ago #
  6. Wolfyhybrid

Ok she came off her nest this evening to feed so i removed the plastic egg and the unfertile egg and put five eggs from my incubator in the nest. Hopefuly when I go to shut them in she will be sitting on them. Lets hope.

Posted 4 years ago #
  7. Mama

Have faith Rob and hope she is being a good mummy ,you will know now .Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 4 years ago #
  8. Wolfyhybrid

She has all 7 eggs under her now and she is determined to hatch them. so next little problem is that the nest box is about 2 feet off the floor and the chicks are going to fall to the ground, can i move the nest box to floor level before they hatch or after, and what about my other hens as i dont have another coop.

Posted 4 years ago #
  9. Mama

Ok and well done mama chook. No you don't need to move her and her chicks will not fall.They are such well behaved babies they will do what mama says .you could put a small ramp up if you are worried but to be honest they don't need it .Other hens should be ok but keep any eye as some are often jealous and will attack the chicks .So hope all goes well Rob and no reason it shouldn't .Mama :)

Goose Girl
    Posted 4 years ago #
  10. Wolfyhybrid

Sounds good, Mama.
    I did scwew a 3 inch bit of wood along the bottom so that they cant fall without jumping over it first.

Posted 4 years ago #
  11. Mama

LOL worrywart ,they will be fine but good on on you for trying to protect the chicks which is what we would all do . Look forward to pics Rob or Wolf as we know you. :)) Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 4 years ago #
  12. dollydylo

all exciting stuff.. just read the previous posts. How is the broody getting on?

Karen x
    Posted 4 years ago #
  13. Majd

Did the eggs hatched??

Posted 4 years ago #
  14. Wolfyhybrid

It has worked! 5 chicks this morning being highly protected by mother hen. I just hope she don`t expect her next lot of eggs to hatch so soon, she might get board sitting if it takes more than 3 days! lol. Still not happy with where the nest box is,not enough room to make a ramp down to the floor, it would be to steep. I have fixed a board for them to feed and drink on, its like they are living in a top floor flat! First time I have breed chickens and the chicks look so big compared to the little quail. The plan worked so now I will let mother hen do all the house-work.

Posted 4 years ago #
  15. Mama

How pleased I am see worrywart, you did a good job and so did mummy hen .Nothing like it Wolf and she will do all for you and her chicks .In a couple of days you can get here and chicks out to another room .LOL they haven't a clue a broody is just so and has no concept of time .:)) Happy Mama for you and all .

Goose Girl
    Posted 4 years ago #
  16. Wolfyhybrid

Wolfyhybrid`s do not suffer with worrywart.LOL
    Thanks all.
    Rob
    PS; dont know how to post pictures.

Posted 4 years ago #
  17. Mama

Mo or Sarah can help with that as Sara chief admin is away .Look forward to pics Wolf .Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 4 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.