Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Hens

hens stopped laying

(12 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by Rhondanar
  • Latest reply from crazychick

1. Rhondanar

Any suggestions welcome, my 2yr old hens have stopped laying... grrr. Ive tried every thing i can think of. About a month ago i started getting soft shelled eggs from them and it just seemed to worse as time went on. Ive increased their calcuim and that did nothing, increased their protein and that didnt work either, ive now changed their feed to organic GM free layers pellets, i was giving them mash before.. The strange thing is they all look in amazing condition. The hen coop is cleaned every day and disinfected and pressure washed weekly. Ive also wormed them... Does anyone have any suggestions?

Rhonda x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  2. Wolfyhybrid

I had the same thing happen, when i introduced a new rooster egg laying simply stopped for about 4 weeks. I got them laying again by putting a false egg in the nest.

Posted 5 years ago #
  3. Rhondanar

I Will try the false egg tomorrow then, i however dont have a rooster, and there doesnt seem to be anything else that has changed in their routine.. oh by the way i dont have a false egg, but i did use a golf ball once, might just pop it in the nest box just now. Thanks for your promp reply

Rhonda x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  4. Mama

Hi Rhonda ,don't worry it may be the time of year for a rest period as does happen .What's your weather like at the mo as that also affects laying .What breed are they ?
    Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 5 years ago #
  5. Rhondanar

Hi Goose girl, nice to hear from you. The hens a wee hybrids, the weather here hasnt been to bad, not as wet as england has been getting. They free range most days, only going into the run for an hour or so at a time. Their not moulting or anything and all look very healthy.

Rhonda x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  6. yanky

Hi Rhonda
    I agree with mama it's just their time to stop laying. My 6 fluctuate all the time. I'm wondering if the really wet weather we've just had has also put them off as I've just dropped from 5 eggs to 2!!
    Don't worry-if they're looking good they'll start again soon.
    Yan.

Posted 5 years ago #
  7. campbell ridge
    Administrator

Hi Rhonda, my four hens have also stopped laying. Have had none for the past two weeks and before that all were intemittent, thin or shelless eggs. I have put it down to the wet weather as all seem healthy otherwise.
    Sarah

Sarah L
    Posted 5 years ago #
  8. Rhondanar

Many thanks Sarah for your reply, I think your right about the weather... they still look healthy and happy, so even if i never got another egg id still be happy having them. A wee egg or two would be a bonus..

Rhonda x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  9. Hey i got to know an idea-
    It may be that the laying period may have finished..i know chickens lay eggs for around 4-5 years but it doesnt seems so in your case...so you can extend the laying period for your hens by putting a light hooked to a timer in the henhouse. This will give the hens a couple of extra hours of artificial daylight,also you know this that the natural pattern for most hens is to stop laying in the winter.

Posted 5 years ago #
  10. campbell ridge
    Administrator

It's a good point but this is our summer in UK so this doesn't apply as we have at least 17 hours of daylight at the moment.
    Mine are still not laying even now it's been hot and sunny for a couple of weeks now so not sure what is going on.

Sarah L
    Posted 5 years ago #
  11. Mama

Sometimes heat can put them off too as they are not lacking light at the moment .Hope you all get some lovely eggs soon .Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 5 years ago #
  12. crazychick

My 3 hen have done the same, soft shells, i also changed the diet to help but it didnt, One of my girls goes in to lay every day, she calls and lets everyone know shes off to lay, then comes out and nothings there.

The weather in the south east UK has been so up and down its affected the ducks laying too and the horses cant/wont settle either. !

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck and looks like a duck then it could be a cow doing a duck impersonation.

(Miss) Stevie x X x
    Posted 5 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.