Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Ducks

Duck egg air sac question.

(3 posts)

1. Anonymous
    Unregistered

Hello, we have five mallard eggs that we rescued after my horses scared mom off the nest. Amazingly 4 have made. We found/rescued them on the 30th of June and could already see that they were fertilized and some movement. So I am guessing they are at least 20 plus days already. My question is this three of the eggs have growing air sacs. One of them only now has air bubbles, but is still moving, and has good veins. Has almost filled the egg to. No noise yet though. Is there anything I can do to help this little one? Have used the stethoscope and it sounds the same as the others. It is the most filled egg of all of them. I hope this makes sense, as this is the first time I have done anything like this.

Posted 5 years ago #
  2. campbell ridge
    Administrator

Hi. it could be the first laid egg so is a bit ahead of the others. They need to be incubated for 28 days so probably still a week or so to go. fingers crossed.
    Here's a great link to show age of embryos and what to expect. http://shilala.homestead.com/candling.html

Sarah L
    Posted 5 years ago #
  3. Mama

How exciting and yes the little one may come sooner than the others and hopfully will hatch and cheer the others on .Don't think you should do anything at the mo to early yet .Good luck Headwyn and hope it is a happy ending :)) Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 5 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.