Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Hens

Is my hen egg bound??

(11 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by Deanna88
  • Latest reply from Deanna88

Tags:

1. So my hen has been sitting on her nest all day, and has not moved but to eat. After she hat some food she went back to the same nest. She is sitting on 4 eggs that she decide to grab from a hen that was next to her. I watched her wait till the hen laid the egg and she took it instantly . Should I give her an epsom salts bath to help pass the egg? I don't know how else to help her.
    Thanks , Deanna88

Posted 5 years ago #
  2. Hi Deanna I dont know alot about chickens hopefully Mama or someone else can offer advice, she may have just gone of lay you havnt said anything here to make it sound like she is egg bound x

mo x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  3. yanky

Hi Deanne
    To me it just sounds like she's broody & off the lay for now. It happens to them all now & again! Have you got cockerels too. I would just separate her completely in her own place for about a week & she should be as right as rain.
    Hope that helps,
    Yan

Posted 5 years ago #
  4. campbell ridge
    Administrator

Sounds like broodiness I agree, which would be the reason SHE herself has stopped laying.

Sarah L
    Posted 5 years ago #
  5. Really? Ok yes I have 5 cockerels and 15 hens. Yes I know I have almost too many cockerels. But they were raised together as babies and they were given to me to replace my mean rooster . Thank you so much ! I may just let her try to be a mommy with some f the eggs she is sitting on. But I do need to seperate her frome the others . Is a dog crate ok to put her in on the floor? Open of corse

Posted 5 years ago #
  6. lol im amazed you have so many cockerals without any fights my two drakes are brothers but still fight if the girls are around

as to your broody hen where do they sleep now can you just partition of a corner of that shed, have to say the dog crate sounds a bit harsh and trying to isolate her to much might put her off anyway

mo x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  7. I have my hens in a coop and the boxes are about 3 feet from the floor. If she hatches the chips then I am afraid they will fall, witch is why I said to put her in the dog crate on the floor. The door comes off so she can still come and go as she likes. I ay be able to do a corner just for her but it wold be small. I put the birds in every night so they are safe.
    Ya I know! I am surprised that my cockerels don't fight too! They will chase each other but never to heart each other .

Posted 5 years ago #
  8. See I was told that my road island hens will not become Broody ether ! This may be because she wants us to keep buying the birds from her and not raise them in our own.

Posted 5 years ago #
  9. it is unusual for that breed to go broody but these birds dont read books lol khaki campbell ducks arnt meant to be broody but many are and some have gone on to raise ducklings, id see how she goes but theres a good chance she will get fed up and then abandon the eggs so maybe its worth having an incubator ready or just put a stop to it now,

mo x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  10. Mama

Hi Deanna, Yes it is unusual for a Rhodes to go broody but as Mo says it's not impossible. It does sound as if she is broody pinching eggs from another hen but there is a chance she won't go full term.That wouldn't be nice as you would loose half formed chicks if you don't have an incubator.One my hen houses had a ramp leading upto it and no chicks ever fell out ,they stick very close to mum. I would always seperate a broody but not everyone does .Good luck .Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 5 years ago #
  11. So my hen has been sitting now for 7 days!! We are excited and hoping that she will remain broody till they all hatch . I am unable to seperate her at the moment because I don't want her to abandon the nest. It's funny because she has another hen that likes to sit with her but not stay in the nest. She will sit next to her at night and keep the eggs warm with her, I hope that is not bad:-/ . But all seems to be well with her and she is sitting on 11 eggs that I have marked with a pencil and I remove the other ones .
    My husband is going to make a broody nesting box for them if they decide to become broody again . We are working on one for the ducks too so she will be safe from other animals .

Posted 5 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.