Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Quail

I want to by some quails!!

(5 posts)

Tags:

1. Majd

Hi, I'm new to quails,and i want to buy a couple of healthy quails b/c i don't have enough room for more, i want to get them male and female from a local pet store, and the owners of pet stores in our country are mostly not honest when selling pets so how can i know if i my quails will be male and female? And if they are mature, b/c they would sell me young ones or old ones and keep good layers!! :@ So what do you advice me to do in this case.. any help will be welcome and helpful
    Thank you!!

Posted 4 years ago #
  2. maybe this link will be of help to you

http://farmingfriends.com/forums/topic.php?id=3

mo x
    Posted 4 years ago #
  3. Wolfyhybrid

Hi, Majd.I breed quail and sell them. My advice is to buy quail that are sexed by feathers, the common brown quail where the male has a bronze chest and the female has a speckled chest is one breed the other is the Italian quail where again the males chest is spotless while the hens is speckled.
    Look to buy off heat chicks, they will be about 4 weeks old and will start to lay at around 7 weeks. dont worry about the birds being chicks as the chicks, as well as adult birds, take about 3 weeks to settle into a new home before they will lay an egg. By the time they are use to their new surroundings they will be ready to lay and you will know that you have young birds. Buy atleast 2 hens per 1 male but 3 hens is the norm per 1 male. Avoid buying a male from the same breeder if the male is the same age as he will be a brother to the girls and you will have problems with your chicks if you intend to hatch out the eggs. If you just want your eggs to eat then note that you do not need a male. Pet shops buy a bulk lot of birds from a breeder and sell as breeding pairs, I recommended you avoid this kind of seller.
    hope this helps
    Rob

Posted 4 years ago #
  4. Mama

So pleased Mo and the Wolf could help you Majd .Wolf has more experience with quail on the forum than most .Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 4 years ago #
  5. Majd

Thanks a lot for your help wolf and you shure are right mama i'll do my best to get young quails.... <3

Posted 4 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.