Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Hens

Chicks are due next weekend.

(5 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by Deanna88
  • Latest reply from Deanna88

1. Hi. So my chicks are due to start piping next week. I did candle the eggs and I seen 7 of the eggs had babies that were moving and doing well. So my question is after they are hatched can I move them to ground level without interfering too much? I just don't want them to fall from the nest. Also do I need to do a second candling ?
    Thanks so much !

Posted 4 years ago #
  2. Hi Deanna, now you know the eggs are alive I see no point in candleing them again at this stage, the hen is mum and sounds like she is doing a good job, as we know this breed isn't well known for being broody so I wouldn't interfere at all and risk putting her off
    could you build a ramp to the nest area as Mama has done in the past and has suggested to other members who like you fear the chicks falling

mo x
    Posted 4 years ago #
  3. I can make a ramp for them no problem thank you! I will start on it today :)

Posted 4 years ago #
  4. Mama

Hi Deanna,No need to candle again and so hope you hear little peepers in a weeks time .The ramp will work as mum will lead them out when ready. Exciting !! :) Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 4 years ago #
  5. Thanks Mama! I am so excited! The crazy thing is I have 2 hens sitting in the same nest so they will have 2 mommys lol. I did have a 3rd broody hen but I had to stop her as she was trying to make a nest outsid and it's far to dangerous here for her to do that. I can't wait to see my first babies!! :)

Posted 4 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.