Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Hens

Chick help please!!!

(11 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by Deanna88
  • Latest reply from Deanna88

Tags:

1. So my hen started to sit on the eggs July 19 . I candled them on the 11th day and they where alive and moving. It's now been 21 days and not one has piped yet that I can tell without bugging mum. How much longer is it safe to wait? I really don't want them to die. I have noteced that one or two of the eggs were cold from not sitting on them they were off to the side . Any advice??
    Tank you so much Deanna88 x

Posted 4 years ago #
  2. 21 days is the average dont panic yet, if mum has pushed them away its possible they have died and she knows, its sad but it happens, you could put them back but its risky like you say you dont want to upset her
    i know of someone who had eggs in an incubator on day 19 they had a power cut for several hours and all eggs were cold they still all hatched

mo x
    Posted 4 years ago #
  3. Oh wow! That's reassuring ! Thank you. I will wait till Monday and if nothing starts than I can presume they are no good ... Right?

Posted 4 years ago #
  4. Mama

Yes wait Deanna can often take longer ,the eggs maybe, maybe not cold or dead as Mo said .Fingers crossed for the hatch :)) Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 4 years ago #
  5. I got up this morning to a nice surprise!!! The first egg has pipped!! I am soooo excited !! Thank you for all your help and not letting me panic Goose girl and Mo ! :D

Posted 4 years ago #
  6. Mama

Yipee, well done mummy hen .look forward to the final count :) Mama .

Goose Girl
    Posted 4 years ago #
  7. Mama

Any news Deanna ?

.Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 4 years ago #
  8. Hi! Sorry I have been busy .
    So I now have 3 chicks nice and healthy !! But the thing is my hens are still sitting on eggs that have not hatched yet. I know the eggs were laid at different times , but how long is too long for them to be sitting? I have 2 hens in one nest . Thanks:)

Posted 4 years ago #
  9. they do seem a long time over due, just keep your eye on them, hens are normaly clever and know if the eggs are dead or not so maybe some are late layed and might still hatch but if they are turning black or smelly you will have to remove them
    well done on the 3 chicks though you must be thrilled

mo x
    Posted 4 years ago #
  10. Mama

Hi, Buy different times do you mean different days ?.Two hens in a nest is not good as you won't know who laid what and when .Silly hens they are ,can you clarify a bit more Deanna think it's strange mummy hen is still sitting even though she has chicks ? Congrats on the babies. :) Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 4 years ago #
  11. Hi. Yes the eggs were laid almost a week after the other eggs. When the other hen decided to join the first hen she snitched the eggs that were laid that day from other hens she has 5 under her. But because they are in the same nest the first hen is still sitting till the second hens eggs hatch (should be this weekend) .
    They now have 4 chicks nice and healthy , I make shure that they have lots of food and water because the mums are still sitting.
    I have never heard of this happening before , I really hope they hatch ASAP! So my poor girls can get up!
    I did find 2 bad eggs. I picked them up and it was sloshy inside so got rid of them .
    Thanks for your help. Ladies :)

Posted 4 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.