Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Hens

chicken twisted neck and unable to balance.

(6 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by campbell ridge
  • Latest reply from campbell ridge

1. campbell ridge
    Administrator

I have a chicken who was fit and well yesterday morning but didn't want to eat yesterday evening with the others. This morning she has a twisted neck and is unable to balance. She is quarantined away from the others who all seem fine.

I have managed to get her to eat a little porridge with vitamin tonic and to drink a little water and she is now able to stand, but propped up with her tail against the back wall of coop. Her eyes are clear, and as yet no poop, but generally the chickens do eat anything and everything so I am guessing it is botulism at this stage. Has anyone any other ideas?
    Thanks,
    Sarah

Sarah L
    Posted 5 years ago #
  2. Sarah I know you will have googled this and seen everything from botulism to truama, vitamins, poision even Newcastles disease what ever it is its not right poor hen and sure you will do all you can for her, sounds like a trip or talk to the vets will be needed in the morning :(

mo x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  3. Mama

So sorry to hear this Wry neck maybe ,is she drinking tap water ? coccidiosis
    it could be too .Hope the vet can tell you and you don't loose her as she is a precious ex batt hen just hope it doesn't spread to the rest of the girls and ducks .Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 5 years ago #
  4. campbell ridge
    Administrator

We use rainwater for all the poultry but she is having tap water atm with vitamin e, vit b acv and poultry tonic mixed with her feed. She is perhaps a little improved this morning and will monitor her during the day.

Sarah L
    Posted 5 years ago #
  5. Mama

Glad to see Margo is doing much better Sarah ,what a relief for you both .Mama :))

Goose Girl
    Posted 5 years ago #
  6. campbell ridge
    Administrator

Margot is now completely back to normal. We are putting it down to eating/drinking something she shouldn't have plus the excess heat we had last week. Poisonings can have this effect on the nervous system and we are just thankful that with constant monitoring, regimented feeding with poultry tonic, acv and anything else I could lay my hands on, she has pulled through.

Sarah L
    Posted 5 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.