Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Quail

Lots Broody quails

(3 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by Wolfyhybrid
  • Latest reply from m40mo

1. Wolfyhybrid

I dont know what has sparked this behavour but so many of my jap quail hens are brooding their own eggs this year. I have had this happen befor but not on this scale. I currently have 2 hens with their own chicks 1 and 2 weeks old and now have another 3 hens who are sitting on a clutch of eggs all in their own pens, its very rare for quail to do this but ive always said they can do it. my quail are kept in large outdoor pens with natural long grass and hiding places but I am still amazed by how keen they are to raise their own. Just thought i would share this with you all.
    PS; Chicken chicks are now 6 weeks old, 4 roosters and 1 hen!

Posted 4 years ago #
  2. Mama

Aw Rob that is such good news to hear on the quails ,sure all will learn from your post .Not so sure on the 4 roosters ,thats a bummer to say the least .:( Mama.

Goose Girl
    Posted 4 years ago #
  3. how lovely and for what ever reason they are suddenly all doing this isn't nature wonderful, they are clearly happy birds and will probably do a better job of raising their chicks than humans can
    aww shame about the roosters its strange how in any hatch there's normally more males than females, there must be a reason for this

mo x
    Posted 4 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.