Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Hens

Quick question

(5 posts)

Tags:

1. yanky

Hi everyone
    I have just got two gorgeous hens to add to the girls! Two things:
    1) they haven't been taught to perch & are sleeping on the floor of their house. Do I have to go in at night to put them on the perch or will they learn themselves.
    2)they are separated from the other at the mo. Is two weeks probably enough time to get them acquainted? Could I let them mix after that or do you think it should be longer?
    Thanks
    Hope everyones bairns doing ok
    Yan.

Posted 5 years ago #
  2. Hi Yan, other members in the past have had chickens that wont perch so I wouldnt be to concerned, maybe they just like the comfy material on the floor, you could check to make sure their nails arnt to long though i've heard that can stop them perching, they are best kept apart for at least 2 weeks just to be sure the new girls are fit and healthy before mixing with your others anyway then its advice to introduce them at night when they are all tired and calmer but im sure there will be some pushing and shoveing to establish who is the boss, some interesting reading here for you
    http://poultrykeeper.com/general-chickens/introducing-new-chickens

mo x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  3. yanky

Thanks Mo that's very helpful! Have been here before but just couldn't remember the order of doing things!
    Yan

Posted 5 years ago #
  4. dollydylo

Hi Yan
    We have had the same problem with hens before, mainly young ones, and have lifted them onto the perches every day until they learnt it. I have always felt it is better for them rather than underneath other hens that poo on them at night!
    As Mo said though, there are some hens that don't perch no matter how much you stick at it - it turned out our orpingtons are too heavy to get up on perches so we leave them on the floor now where they are quite happy!
    And yes, a couple of weeks separation is recommended.

Karen x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  5. yanky

Thanks Karen
    I'm weighing up what to do! Not a lot of room in main henhouse & the rest perch so think I may just start lifting them up. If it doesn't work then at least I've tried.
    Thinking about maybe mixing them this w/e we'll see
    Yan.

Posted 5 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.