Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Quail

Qual flooring

(5 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by rozza2012
  • Latest reply from Wolfyhybrid

1. rozza2012

Hi,

I have a big walk in cage for my 12 quails. They love it in there. But during the recent wet weather the floor (concreate slabs) gets horrible. We normally put hay down but its just getting soaked.

I was thinking of using gravel or something that any water can at least drain through?

Any ideas most welcome.

Posted 5 years ago #
  2. hi think we all have similar problems with this awful weather, not sure as never kept quail but would gravel be ok on their feet, the water would still be there of course is there a way you could protect all or part of their pen from the rain maybe

mo x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  3. duskhunter

Rubber Mulch is worth looking into it is non toxic and lasts twice as long as bark chip which you could also use. I imagine it would need hosing down to clean it up occassionally but then everything does except for disposable bedding.
    Try Googling it to see what comes up. Let us know what you find I may think of it myself if it is any good.

Posted 5 years ago #
  4. Mama

Hi Rozza,Sorry know nothing about quail but lots of members and admin do .Would have thought perhaps straw would be better than hay to absorb moistuer .Are the birds outside or under some sort of cover IE barn or shed ? It a great problem in the uk at the mo all this terrible rain for all birds .Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 5 years ago #
  5. Wolfyhybrid

What I tend to do when the outdoor quail pens get muddy is dig up layers of grass from other not used parts of the garden and simply lay it over the mud to give them something clean to walk on. When that turns to mud just get a spade and shovel it out and put more grass in. It might sound like hard work but it only takes half hour as I dont always cover the complete pen. They love the new grass and start digging for all the crawly things attached to it.

Posted 5 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.