Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Ducks

egg laying dropping off

(12 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by duskhunter
  • Latest reply from dallascriftins

1. duskhunter

We have gone from a brief spell of 6 or 7 eggs each day to none. I think the ducks must be going through their second molt as, though they all look good, there are quite a lot of feathers around the edges of the pond. Last time it was at least 8 weeks before they started to lay again.

As they aren't supposed to lay whilst molting I wonder how the kahki Campbells and runners ever lay the fantastic amount of eggs it is claimed they can.

Posted 4 years ago #
  2. campbell ridge
    Administrator

Hi, out of my 7 layers I am alternately only getting one egg one day and two eggs the next. The khaki's that lay all year round will have artificial light hours and access to food and water at all times. In duck egg production farming the ducks have little or no darkness, no different to chicken egg production. Our free range birds live a natural life, therefore they will lay less in the winter due to shorter daylight hours. So rather than making eggs, they use their food's energy to build up their fat reserves to keep them warm through the winter.

Sarah L
    Posted 4 years ago #
  3. duskhunter

Thanks Sarah,
    that is really interesting, poor ducks it must surely shorten their lives?

Posted 4 years ago #
  4. i'm getting 4 a day from my 3 khakis and 3 whites, since getting the 3 new girls in the spring im not sure whos eggs are who's now but the white girls are definatly laying

As there was already a light in my shed before I got the ducks now they are in by 4.30 I do leave the light on until about 7pm and mine have always had access to water and food 24/7, I do neither to produce more eggs I do it because I can and because I feel sorry for them haveing to go so long in the dark and so long without food and water maybe this does help with egg production I will never know but the breed was first produced for its ability to produce so many eggs so I dont see theres anything unusual in it to be honest, also I do see the drakes eat and drink through out the night so food isnt just about egg production lol

mo x
    Posted 4 years ago #
  5. duskhunter

I think I am going to start keeping a diary to find out more about how when and where our ducks lay their eggs it will be interesting to compare if anyone else has ever done or is thinking of doing the same.

At the moment I am finding the odd soft shelled egg dropped anywhere. We have some youngsters who are only just producing for the first time so I am presuming it is them. All our ducks are going through their second molt of the year too. This is the second or third day with no eggs but before that we had about 7 a day.

Posted 4 years ago #
  6. dollydylo

We haven't had any ducks eggs for over a week now, and before that was only getting one a day at most! Hens are also on strike so I think the cold is a big factor with my guys...

I think a lot of others are experiencing the same too.

Karen x
    Posted 4 years ago #
  7. duskhunter

Hi Karen,
    I have since realised the ducks are all moulting like mad it looks as though there has been a massacre in the pond and the field would be a good place to find feathers for quills.
    We have taken on a rescue Kahki Campbell today who is supposed to be laying still but I bet she will follow suit soon or be shocked into stopping by the new surroundings.
    We will be spending a worrying night as we can't get four of them off the pond and if it freezes they are in danger of being left on dry ground. They are just not used to the routine of coming in at night yet.

Posted 4 years ago #
  8. duskhunter

We had an egg today from our new kahki Campbell, lovely.
    However, not so lovely is the fact that we are having terible trouble getting the new ducks off the pond at night and for the second night our handsome new drake spent the night on the pond, on his own this time.

Posted 4 years ago #
  9. are their houses in an enclosure angela if so id coax them all into there earlier with some food treats and not allow them back to the lake, I wouldnt sleep thinking mine were out especially given the freezing temps we have had this week what a worry for you
    good news on the egg

mo x
    Posted 4 years ago #
  10. dallascriftins

use a long cane with a Tesco bag or similar flag
    my pond is pretty big but the flag works on the odd occasion I need to get them off the water at dusk

or to take it to extremes

Get the Video Player

Posted 4 years ago #
  11. duskhunter

Here is a link to the naughty but rather good looking drake Ronald who won't come off the pond.

He did come off tonight but I am on my own today and in spite of coralling him he doubled back to freedom, he's a slippery customer.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff95/duskhuntercottageplants/ducks/DSC05726_zps46a09ff0.jpg

Not sure exactly what breed he is supposed to be a runner but doesn't look like one to me expecially next to the Kray twins who are rather smart specimens of black runners.

Love the utube video.

Posted 4 years ago #
  12. dallascriftins

One of my Chickens has decided to start laying again
    3 days in a row so far this week _ I assume it is only one of them not sure, but home made scrambled egg on toast for breakfast this morning went down nicely

Ducks are still on strike

Posted 4 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.