Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Pets Corner

What is the homing distance of a cat?

(10 posts)

1. Hi All,
    There certainly is never a dull moment on the farm this week!
    Hubby has just driven trailor load of straw bales through village to neighbours farm with my cat Snowy on top, then can't find the cat. We are hoping she returns home soon. Well hubby is or else he'll be in the dog house, or should that be cat house!!!
    Just wondered as you hear of cats retunring to their old home what is the distance a cat will travel. Is she likely to know her way home? Unfortunately she has to travel across a beck and a ditch. Hope she makes it back.
    A disgruntled cat owner - oh and the handbrake went on car as I was returning home from neighbours farm!
    Kind regards
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 9 years ago #
  2. quax

You are having a tough time of it, poor you. I'm not sure how far a cat will be able to travel home, I think it depends on whether she has to travel through a town or village. It might be an idea to put pictures of her up in the area she went missing if she's not home soon. How far did she actually travel? Or did she jump off nearer to home than you think?
    Rachel

Rachel
    Posted 9 years ago #
  3. quax

Funnily enough we're having a cat problem at the moment, a strange cat is sneaking into our house (via the cat flap), eating our cat's food and spraying in the back hall area. Its so annoying, and has unsettled our 2 cats slightly. We have now locked the cat flap so our cats can get out but no-one can get in, hoping this will put the other cat off the idea. But it does mean our two have to stay out when they go until we either come home or open the door again. Poor things. I'm such a softy where cats are concerned!
    Rachel

Rachel
    Posted 9 years ago #
  4. Hi Rachel and everyone,
    Cycled to the neighbours farm when hubby deposited Snowy on the bales. I called out to her and she called back and then came to garden edge. I tried to choax her into basket with tuna and got her half in and then she shot out.
    Hubby and I then managed to find her in amongst the offending bales and got her into the box only for me not to be holding the door securely and she came out again. Twice in the box and still cat not home! She seems happy in her new environment but will be glad when she is home.
    What a day!
    Have a good weekend - hope it's animal mishap free!
    Kind regards
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 9 years ago #
  5. quax

So glad that at least you have found her, she's obviously enjoying a change of scene.
    Nice and sunny here today, so a complete clean out of the duck house and clean out the pond. Back to work on Monday, shame, I could get used to spending more time at home with the animals in the garden!
    Hope Snowy comes back soon.
    Rachel

Rachel
    Posted 9 years ago #
  6. Hi Rachel,
    We have had alot of snow here today after a gloriously sunny day yesterday. Snowy still not back home. Have heard that one cat walked 40 miles to get back to old home!! If snow clears up then will go and try and get her this afternoon. Bet your ducks are loving their newly cleaned hut. My quail had their hut cleaned out last week and they started to lay as soon as it was cleaned out!
    Sorry to hear that your cats are having an intruder in their cat flap and your home! Hope the intruder cat has been discouraged from coming to yours.
    How much time do we spend looking after our animals and worry about them. But they are worth it.
    My little duck is still under the weather, think she is scared of the drake and the other big ducks.
    Best Wishes
    Sara @farmingfriends

Posted 9 years ago #
  7. Hi All
    Well I am jumping for joy right now as I have managed to catch my cat snowy and bring her homw from the farm my hubby drove her to on a set of bales! She wanted to come home but when I got her in the basket she was not a happy cat, she is now reacquainting herself with the home she has had for 10 years.
    Just got poorly duck to take to vet now!
    One relieved Sara from farmingfriends

Posted 9 years ago #
  8. campbell ridge
    Administrator

Glad you got your cat back. I wonder why she was content to stay there and is now unsettled, perhaps she found a friend.
    Let us know how your princess gets on at the vet. Fingers crossed.
    Sarah x

Sarah L
    Posted 9 years ago #
  9. Hi Sarah,
    Thanks, it has been a palava with the cat. When I went to get her she came to me when I called out but was frightened of going in the cat basket. When she got home she did a scout round and 2 hours later was fine. She is now bobbing about like she owns the place, I guess after 10 years living here she has the right to.
    The other farm had a good 18-20 cats so there were plenty of cat friends to make, but am so glad she is home now!
    Best Wishes
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 9 years ago #
  10. Hi All,
    Just thought I would post a photo of Snowy the cat who has just had a "holiday" at another farm!!!

She is about 10 years old.

Best Wishes
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 9 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.